I'm a complete newcomer... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Wizard

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Pick up a used S4 or S2 and make sure it comes with the traktor, problem solved. If you're just starting you don't need anything crazily expensive. A basic controller like an S2/S4 will give you an idea of what your needs are and a solid base on which to grow and improve your skills.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Wizard

What do you reckon is best, an s2 or s4? cheers

Tech Wizard

I'd rather not get 2nd hand though, don't like 2nd hand stuff.

Tech Convert

I was in your boat a few months ago. Wanted to learn how to DJ and probably had about $1500 to spend overall. Ended up deciding to learn on Traktor and got myself a new S2. It was a great decision in my opinion. Just spent a couple hours everyday practicing. It's the perfect controller to learn on because it's not too pricey but still pretty versatile. I'm still far from "good" granted, but I found that with all the mappings available here, I'm able to mess around with it and do things that I never expected to be able to. I found myself loving it and just bought some big ol' QSC speakers and now am just DJing at parties at my place with my friends. They love it, and more importantly I love it

You might want to keep in mind that I do it for fun (more of a bedroom DJ) and I don't have any intention at this point to do gigs but besides that, I really don't think you could go wrong with either the S2 or S4. Honestly, if you can really see yourself enjoying it and doing it for awhile, the S4 might be a better option so you won't feel the need to upgrade so soon.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for that post, it's reassuring
    I think i will end up going with the S2 after all. I suppose i can always upgrade if necessary in the future.
    My love for music makes me think that i will end up enjoying this and i can't wait to get started.

The advice and help from you guys is very much appreciated. I made the same topic on another forum about 6 months or so ago and i was immediately shot down with comments like 'n00b' 'oh look at me mummy, i want to dj' 'just forget it' stuff like that. There was like 2 pages of childish insults, seemed unnecessary, but there you go! It kinda put me off but i thought fuck em i'm gunna do it anyway.
    I searched on google for the best dj forums ans this came out at number 1, i can see why
    I hope to use it for many years to come, thanks again. No doubt i will have loads more questions over the next year ha

Tech Wizard

Lol i'm torn between the Traktor S2 and the Pioneer XDJ-AERO. Help! I like the fact that with the aero i could play with a laptop and if it crashed then i could just use my samsung s3 or a usb stick. Are there any downsides to the aero?

I vote S2. Its intergration with traktor will make things simple to start off and its been around a bit to have some bugs worked out, whereas the aero is pretty new but i havent heard anything about it honestly. Im just a NI fanboy though

Not to mention the S2-$500 XDJ-Aero-$1400
    Last edited by Otacon; 10-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Wizard

Ye i'm leaning towards the S2 tbh

Tech Wizard

Does anyone know any good workstations that can fit an s2 and a 15.6 inch laptop? cheers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234