would love some advice on getting started gigging

Default would love some advice on getting started gigging

I'm starting to feel like I could rock a party competently, so I'm thinking about the logistics of actually making it happen. My car is pretty small, and I don't own a PA system.

Getting your foot in the door, standard billing practices / collecting payment, insuring your gear, carrying spares? Etiquette for an opening DJ (avoiding anthems, etc.)?

Basically if you can name it and it's about gigging, I'd appreciate your advice on it.
    reason, live7, traktor pro, m-audio x-session, m-audio O2, KRK RP5, Roland RD300sx

This place rents PA gear and has a Boston location:
    http://www.edenaudio.com/equipment/productcatalog.asp

Reasonable?
    reason, live7, traktor pro, m-audio x-session, m-audio O2, KRK RP5, Roland RD300sx

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I'm starting to feel like I could rock a party competently, so I'm thinking about the logistics of actually making it happen. My car is pretty small, and I don't own a PA system.

Getting your foot in the door, standard billing practices / collecting payment, insuring your gear, carrying spares? Etiquette for an opening DJ (avoiding anthems, etc.)?

Basically if you can name it and it's about gigging, I'd appreciate your advice on it.

Concerning the billing pratice, you should get a standart contract, if you are a newcomer most of the owner will pay you after your gig, if you already have a reputation, get your fee in advance with very strict conditions (technical riders, cathering, logging, sound check, hotels, flights, how your name should be billed on the any advertisment etc.. etc...). Clubs should have an insurance for their employees and this includes djs. If you come with some specific equipment ( i'm thinking about your own soundcard, laptop etc...) maybe you want to call the club, ask for the sound technicians number and check with him, maybe even arrange a small sound check.

As for opening for a big name dj, there are no magic solution, it's a matter of experience. I could write a book about this, i've been opening at MAD Club in Lausanne for a gazillion big names. Just remember that your job is not to tear the roof but to set a mood for the "big name" to do his job. Opening is the most difficult thing but also the most challenging! People want to tap their feet having a drink, then you want to build up slowly to have them dance etc... It's also a matter of how much time you have to build up something for the main artist. Something simple you can do is play with the master volume of the club... don't start at the maximum volume but bring it progressively during your set.

A good warm up set is one of the key point to have a successful night.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

There are a bunch of threads here, so use the search function. We have talked about how to get people's names out there.

Pretty much just whore yourself out. Make mixes you're proud of, talk up other DJs, be a good guy, show up to clubs early and leave late, get to know the promoters, and everything. Start small, hit up myspaces and soundclouds and facebooks, and try to make yourself known. Do this very delicately, but make sure that they are finding out who you are. Also, give your mixes out to your friends to follow up with the clubs, if they know anyone especially.

To start you're going to be the opening DJ of the club, most likely. Maybe get a short guest slot, depending on the type of club. Just have patience and don't jump too far ahead cause that might get you in trouble.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Jack Bastard

Offer something musically that they can't get from other djs would be my advice. I've ambled into djing without ever asking anyone for a gig because there aren't very many djs around here who play what I do.

and if no club wants you, start your own party! build up your own night with your own rules and once you have a decent following, that's your foot in the door right there.

what i said is way oversimplified, but you get the idea. sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Much appreciated y'all.

Show the manager your ping pong ball trick
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

best advice imo is sell yourself. youre a product, make them want you
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.