How to record with an audio 2
    Tech Mentor

Default How to record with an audio 2

Hi, ive got compaq laptop with an intel pentium dual processor. Im using traktor 2.5, traktor audio 2 and a generic non branded external mixer.

Now i want record my mixes but dont know how to. The 2 outputs of the audio 2 are connected to the mixer for the 2 decks. When i start recording in the laptop it doesnt record the mixing done from the external mixer and only records play/pause of songs. My laptop overloads in this much of a setup and at various intervals has drop outs.

Please help as to how to record through my mixer?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

From Mixer record output > built in line in on laptop

Record using Audacity set the input to your line in.

Or buy a simple external recorder like a Zoom for around $99.

If your laptop is already struggling with traktor this may be your only option - I'd be looking at a different machine TBH as yours doesnt meet the minimum specs for Traktor 2, either that or downgrade to Traktor 1.2 which will solve your glitching.
    Last edited by deevey; 10-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Tech Mentor

Ok so basically ur saying to get audacity and in audacity set the source to the line in of the mixer???

Also how exactly do i connect the mixer to my laptop?? the record out in the mixer is rca. so how to connect that to the laptop? Also wont my laptop have more dropputs since ill b playing and recording together?

Oh ok ill have to get an external recorder.hmm

Sorry for such amateur questions.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Also how exactly do i connect the mixer to my laptop?? the record out in the mixer is rca. so how to connect that to the laptop?
    Buy an RCA > Minijack

Tech Mentor

cool so i connect the minijack to my mic output in the laptop and then in audacity preferences set my line in as the mic of the latop Correct me if im wrong.

Thanx a ton for the help!

get one of these bad boys:

plug it into your mixer and then into a line-in, record using audacity ... make sure your headroom is adjusted so tat te sound is loud but not clipping in your mixer ten after recorder add +2db or even +3db to it. then you'll be good to go

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Just to clarify, you want to set the source in audacity to the built in input of the laptop, not the external mic.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    get one of these bad boys:

plug it into your mixer and then into a line-in, record using audacity ... make sure your headroom is adjusted so tat te sound is loud but not clipping in your mixer ten after recorder add +2db or even +3db to it. then you'll be good to go

in traktor in preferences the headroom is set to -6db. Is that fine? Also pls explain wats headroom in like simple words.

Quote Originally Posted by sagar4848 View Post
    in traktor in preferences the headroom is set to -6db. Is that fine? Also pls explain wats headroom in like simple words.
    headroom is like "volume cushioning" a setting of -6db is standard. some people turn this feature off or raise their headroom and watch for clipping on the mixer in fear that the headroom is making their songs play quieter.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Mentor

Hi, just got audacity and recorded my first set. The quality sucked really bad no clarity in the songs at all!! Its only like noise at some times. Please help.