Tag Editor For Renaming Files
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tag Editor For Renaming Files

So I am in the process of moving to a new tagging structure for my tracks. I've done tons of research and have created a system that works well for me. The problem I'm having is I want to rename all my files in accordance with my new system.

Now I know once I rename the files Traktor will have to re- analyze the files. And I'm ok with that. But here are the few questions that I have

Will messing with the file names remove my que points in Traktor or is it just the stripe that effected?

And what tag editors do would anyone recommend for large batches of files?

I like MP3Tag: -

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Amongst many other things, you can batch rename files based on the tags, or batch tag files based on the file names, and one of those sounds like it's what you're aiming to do here. You can also write your own custom tagging rules and create custom actions, so it's extremely versatile.

As for the Traktor cue points, copy an existing MP3, rename it to testfile.mp3, add it to your library, analyse it, then add some cue points. Rename it to something else and see what happens. If it messes up the cue points, at least you won't have tried it with your entire library.

Great idea with running a tester first. I will try this software out. Website makes it seem promising.

Cool man. I know a reasonable amount about MP3Tag (although I'm certainly no expert), so if you need any help with it give me a shout. I've set up custom actions that can do the following: -

1. Import the cover art from a folder.jpg file
    2. Tag the artist and album name based on the folder name
    3. Copy the artist to the album artist field (if required)
    4. Tag the song number and song title based on the file name

The only stuff I have to type in manually is the year of release and the genre, but if you have that info in your folder/file names that can be automated too. Of course, you can also use MP3Tag to pull in info from online services too if you prefer.

You could try JRiver Media Jukebox. It's free and pretty good for renaming and moving files based on tags.

I love mp3Tag - but I stopped using it because I wanted to find something would batch rename based on rules...

Looks like I'll be going BACK to using mp3Tag.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

The program I mentioned above does just that. It will rename or move files in batches based on all sorts of rule combinations.

You can set up a folder directory like this: [Genre]\[Artist]\[Album]

You can set the artist folder to automatically be named 'Assorted' if you wish for compilation albums.

And then name your files like this: [Track #]-[Name] ([Year])

Or any other combo that suits.

It's also a good quality media player which I have been using for about ten years now.

Tech Wizard

My overall process now is pretty twisted and ever changing, and involves a bunch of tools (MIK, MediaMonkey, Picard, mp3tag, iTunes).

BUT

I have found a pretty cool freeware tool to do what you're describing, "Bulk Rename Utility". You can pretty much rename any file\folder structure in about any way you can think of. Laid out pretty intuitively, takes a minute to take in all the settings. I use this thing when I want to rename a bunch of files in some way.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Hope it helps, comes in handy on some of my experiments (remix sets, ableton toolboxes)

Would MP3Tag allow me to search for and remove a specific work from song titles in the tags?

I used to add a specific word to song titles for specific tracks I like and now with my new process I want to get rid of them without having to manually do each track in iTunes.

Would this software help me in this at all. Did what I said even make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ 2 Cut View Post
    Would MP3Tag allow me to search for and remove a specific work from song titles in the tags?
    Yep. Here's how to do exactly that: -

1. Open any audio file in MP3Tag and click on it so it's highlighted.

2. Click on Actions in the main menu bar, then select Actions from that menu. A new, smaller window will open.

3. Click the little icon, top right (that looks like a piece of paper with a star on it) to create a new action group and give it a name. It doesn't matter what you call it, but call it something meaningful like "Remove Word" so you know what it does. A new window will then open.

4. Click the little icon, top right again. In the "Select action type" drop-down list that appears, select "Replace" and hit OK.

5. On the next screen, in the top drop-down list, select which tag field that the word you want to remove is located in. You can also select "_ALL" if you want to scan all fields for that word, as well as the file/folder name. In the "Original" box, type the name of the word you want to remove. Leave the "Replace with:" box blank. The bottom 2 checkboxes speak for themselves, so check any relevant options there and hit OK.

That creates the action. Now all you have to do is open all of your files in MP3Tag, press Control + A to select them all, then go to the Actions menu and select the action you created, which will then run on all of the files, removing the word from the tags.

IMPORTANT - Test this on 1 file first to make sure you've done it properly. If you mess it up and it ends up removing something you don't want it to remove, there is no undo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast