Laptop for TP2.5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Laptop for TP2.5

Hi. i want to buy new laptop for my traktor. NI says, that i need Core 2 Duo or Athlon 64. is that mean, that Pentium dual core or COre i3 isn't good enough for Traktor?

i know it may sound stupid but i really don't know.

laptop specs:

Intel Pentium dual core 2.2 ghz, 4 gb ram, win 7, integrated grpachic card

and

Intel Core i3, 4 gb ram, win 7, integrated graphic card.

and what about AMD processors? are they good?

are these laptops good enough for traktor?

they are quite cheap (both about 350 euro). i can't afford mac os something based on core i7.

thanks
    Last edited by qwak12345; 10-13-2012 at 10:25 AM.

I would get something better.

I have a Pentium T4200 2.00Ghz 4.0GB with Win 7, and while it works, and works well, it took me a while the find "the groove".

But it depends what you want to do. My latency is at around 17ms right now, and if I were to lower it, my computer would stall while playing traktor. If you want to use DVS and do a lot of scratching, or even cut point juggling, you'll want it to be a lot lower than that.

You also specified TP2 2.5 and I can tell you that 2.5 is the least stable on my computer, and the load marker usually spikes, so I've been using 2.1.1

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

NI says, that i need Core 2 Duo or Athlon 64. is that mean, that Pentium dual core or COre i3 isn't good enough for Traktor?
    Core i3 is newer than a core2duo

A Pentium Processor has lower specs than core2duo and at this stage of the game considered "vintage".

I am using a HP ProBook 4530s and the thing runs Traktor like a champ. I had some issues with bloat-ware when I got it. It is HP after all. But after wiping it back to just Windows 7 and some basic drivers I've had no issues at all. And the fingerprint scanner is a great way for me to insure no one gets into it and I can get back in quickly. It has a Intel i3 2310M CPU @ 2.10 GHz and 4 GB of RAM. I want to upgrade the memory because once I start using the Remix Decks when I get my F1 I don’t want it to start having issues when I load up a bunch of samples but other than that no complaints at all.

Tech Wizard

tokenasianguy - i don't have traktor scratch. i''m using only controllers like F1 and soon, X1 + external mixer.

i think i will buy something based on Core i3. but what abaout AMD processors? are they good?

I run traktor with an i3 processor, it's fine. I did find my network adapters were interfering with the audio creating crackles. I just switch them off in device manager and it solves that problem. Never crashed on me yet, touch wood.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Quote Originally Posted by qwak12345 View Post
    tokenasianguy - i don't have traktor scratch. i''m using only controllers like F1 and soon, X1 + external mixer.

i think i will buy something based on Core i3. but what abaout AMD processors? are they good?
    If you're using the F1, I assume you're gonna do some sample juggling, which I believe is just as demanding as a DVS setup. Lower latency never hurt anyone.

I have an AMD that I bought back in 2009, and it runs HOT. I mean so hot it'll practically burn your lap. I've heard that the new quad-core AMD processors have overcome the heat issue, and are very efficient.

RavioliFaceMan

Intel Pentium dual core 2.2 ghz, 4 gb ram, win 7, integrated grpachic card
    Pentium is a no-go for DJs. Simple as that.

Intel Core i3, 4 gb ram, win 7, integrated graphic card.
    This sounds about right, but it depends on the clock speed of your i3. I'd go for something 2.2GHz or faster.

Generally, I would recommend i5 for running Traktor Pro. 4GB RAM is sufficient, but again I would go for 6 or more. Graphics are irrelevant when it comes to Traktor so that doesn't matter.

and what about AMD processors? are they good?
    AMD is a bit of an odd point. In a way, it's equivalent to Intel, and most of their processors can meet the speeds of Intel, but they lack the dedicated technology like Turbo Boost in the new i5-i7 processors. There's a lot more to CPUs than just the clock speed, and that's where Intel really dominates. If nothing else, AMD's drawback for you will be incompatibility and low support. I would definitely go for Intel.

It's definitely worth paying extra for for i5. Look very carefully around; you can get B-stock i5s for around that price. I would also search forums for common errors for the laptops. The one I use, Asus N, has issues with WiFi when it's not plugged in, for example, and I get lots of BSODs from old drivers. It also sometimes goes into standby when I press the 'Y' button on my keyboard (eh?)
    So yeah, I'd do a lot of research into the laptop before you buy one. Or save some money for a couple of months and go for an i5; an i3 will only be viable for another year or so, i5s for a couple of years.

If you watch the Dell Outlet you can usually pick up something pretty decent for a good price. My friend got a nice i5 with 6gig of RAM for $400 last month. It was marked "Scratch & Dent" but looks brand new and works like a champ.
    deeflash - www.deeflash.com
    Original Music, Remixes, and Monthly Podcast

Sony Vaio F13 - Intel Core Quad i7-740QM - 8 Gig of Ram - 500 Gig SATA 7200RPM Drive - Traktor S4

Quote Originally Posted by RavioliFaceMan View Post
    Pentium is a no-go for DJs. Simple as that.

This sounds about right, but it depends on the clock speed of your i3. I'd go for something 2.2GHz or faster.

Generally, I would recommend i5 for running Traktor Pro. 4GB RAM is sufficient, but again I would go for 6 or more. Graphics are irrelevant when it comes to Traktor so that doesn't matter.

AMD is a bit of an odd point. In a way, it's equivalent to Intel, and most of their processors can meet the speeds of Intel, but they lack the dedicated technology like Turbo Boost in the new i5-i7 processors. There's a lot more to CPUs than just the clock speed, and that's where Intel really dominates. If nothing else, AMD's drawback for you will be incompatibility and low support. I would definitely go for Intel.

It's definitely worth paying extra for for i5. Look very carefully around; you can get B-stock i5s for around that price. I would also search forums for common errors for the laptops. The one I use, Asus N, has issues with WiFi when it's not plugged in, for example, and I get lots of BSODs from old drivers. It also sometimes goes into standby when I press the 'Y' button on my keyboard (eh?)
    So yeah, I'd do a lot of research into the laptop before you buy one. Or save some money for a couple of months and go for an i5; an i3 will only be viable for another year or so, i5s for a couple of years.
    Thers so many things wrong in this post i wont even bother wasting time explaining it all unless everyone really wants me to, either way 200 Mhz isnt going to make or break performance in fact you will probably not even notice a difference. However, Like always its best to get the fastest most robust system you can afford and i advise the OP to do just that Core2Duo can handle most of what people use Traktor for, AMD or Intel just be sure to meet min specs (i.e 2 Ghz multi core proc or higher) get a good amount of RAM 6-8 GB, 4 will work but RAM is cheap (even for Laptops)

FYI: I'm Running AMD system and my Latency is under 8ms with highQ buffers, no incompatability or hiccups (Win7 OS)
    Last edited by NoizeuNit; 10-16-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast