Let's talk about the Business Side of things.
    Tech Wizard

Default Let's talk about the Business Side of things.

I am a creative person who has trouble staying organized. Something I struggle with is making my ideas into something tangible. Sharing information about my process or workflow could help some bedroom DJ out there. I can sling business jargon for a half an hour and lots of people would not understand me. But what about discussing the application of some of those concepts towards your creative efforts?

There are some really smart people involved in this community. Some people go to school, others run their own business, and some run websites. Having a section on the forums for that would be a chance to pick at some brains for some pretty unique information. Ideally this would be place to learn, grow, and help pass on knowledge.

So can anyone help out by discussing the business side of things.
    Last edited by tekki; 10-14-2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Re-written start post, as that the discussion of a separate forum is already started elsewhere.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kruse Control View Post
    I am a creative person who has trouble staying organized. Something I struggle with is making my ideas into something tangible. Sharing information about my process or workflow could help some bedroom DJ out there. I can sling business jargon for a half an hour and lots of people would not understand me. But what about discussing the application of some of those concepts towards your creative efforts?

There are some really smart people involved in this community. Some people go to school, others run their own business, and some run websites. Having a section on the forums for that would be a chance to pick at some brains for some pretty unique information. Ideally this would be place to learn, grow, and help pass on knowledge.

So can anyone help out by discussing the business side of things.
    This is a great idea. Everyone has a lot of unique experiences that we can all learn from. I'd like to share this little bit of knowledge.

I'm assuming a lot of people here aspire to get out of the bedroom, or if you are already, you're looking to increase the amount of gigs you have. Being a DJ its very easy to keep strange hours and live a life thats all over the place. For anyone who wants to do great work with DJing you have to treat it as a 9-5 job. I know this sounds ironic, but think about in the past when you have worked a regular job. When you show up at work you know what has to be done so you get to work, then when 5 o clock rolls around you check out and it's play time. What makes this so easy is that usually you had to go to a different physical location. Right now your workspace is probably your bedroom, your game room, and place to do homework all rolled into one.

With DJing there's almost an infinite amount of things that can be done: trying new mixes, new fx combos, scratch practice, track preparation, promotion, the list goes on. I'd suggest you start to plan out your DJ work schedule and have a start and end time for your "DJ Job". And if you can try and square off a separate spot in your workplace where you only work on DJ stuff there. Do your best to keep other things separate from this space so when it's time to go into DJ mode you go there and when you're done you leave, just like a real job. Just my two cents.

I would like to know how people are making money from anything related to music making , production, patch making, loop selling, stem creation, etc.... That would be productive for me. I run a logistics department for a top 5 food distribution company here in the states. My job is interesting but I would rather make money doing DJTT type stuff.
    http://soundcloud.com/razzlesnaz
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Razzlesnaz/
    http://mixlr.com/razzlesnaz/
    Ableton Suite 8.3/Reason 5/ Sub Boom Bass /Massive/Razor/DCAM Synth Squad/ Akai MPD26/ Novation LaunchPad/Traktor 2.5/Kontrol S2/Kontrol S4/ Kontrol F1/Radium Keyboard/Focusrite Saffire 6/UC-33e