My Cheapass Has A Question (Mixxx DVS Content)

Default My Cheapass Has A Question (Mixxx DVS Content)

I'm an ableton guy. I mainly record and "produce" using my very humble launchpad & M-Audio fast track. On Occasion I'll mix and whatnot but it's mostly just to dip into Dj'ing with the tools I already have. Funny huh? I've been apart of this community for almost 2 years and I'm not really much of a DJ (stumbled across this place while looking into learning more about midi controllers)

Anyways here's my predicament. I would like to get into mixing on a DVS setup with mixxx. This is mostly due to it's availability (free) but I honestly like the idea of open source software. I have already started mixing on it using my launchpad and some scripts that the guys over at the mixxx community have made up. I like it . But as I have said before I would like to run a DVS setup. Due to my somewhat limited resources I would like to save as much money as possible while also getting the most practical tools. So far my search has brought me to the following pieces of hardware:

Behringer NOX 303 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NOX303.aspx
    Audio Techinca AT LP 120 http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/tu...f30b3a8662772/

And I may even throw in some dicers if I have enough left over. I am fully aware of Behringer's reputation and the questionable build quality of the turntables (I would just like to see for myself). So the only missing piece of the puzzle is the timecode records. I would like to use serato timecode as I have heard nothing but good things about them and they seem to be doing very well amongst the mixxx community. Here's my question: Can I use the serato records with the built in soundcard inside the behringer mixer? I ask this because I have heard that the records will only work with the serato boxes even if they are used with 3rd party software like mixxx. That would ruin my weekend. As you can probably tell I have absolutely no hands on experience with serato or any other DVS software but believe me I am fully aware of most of the in's and out's of how they work (After 2 years here you tend to pick up on these things)

So with all that being said hopefully I can get some help on this. I would like to know before I decide to get the hardware. Anything will be much appreciated! Also lets keep the "brand war" discussion to a minimum. Now If you have actual FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with either of these products then yes I would love to hear what you have to say but other than that I really don't want to know what you "heard" because I have most likely heard it too.

Thanks a bunch!!
    Last edited by BlackJesus; 10-14-2012 at 08:03 PM.

search craigslist for a used behringer ddm4000 one of their best mixers they cost around 200-300 used, you can also assign it as a midi controller. for turntables you can try numark or stanton, save some money i believe a set of t60's from stanton will run you about 300 new. they are average direct drive TT's

also what kind of laptop/computer you running all this on

Thanks for the reply! That mixer doesn't seem to have a built in soundcard . My bad for not mentioning that I wanted one built in (can't use the fast track). Also the audio technica tables I'm looking at seem to be about $200 brand new on amazon. I'm planning on running this on my older sony vaio but a new laptop is is on it's way eventually. I don't think it really matters though since I'm able to run ableton smoothly with relatively large projects.

Edit: oops you meant that the MIXER was about 300 new. Thought you were talking about the stanton tables :P

Sorry mate - the Nox doesn't have a soundcard that you can use for timecode. It's just a one input USB device. You're gonna need a soundcard with 4 ins and 4 outs to enable you to use 2 turntables...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Sorry mate - the Nox doesn't have a soundcard that you can use for timecode. It's just a one input USB device. You're gonna need a soundcard with 4 ins and 4 outs to enable you to use 2 turntables...
    Oh lord that ruins this whole thing
    My fault for not looking deeper into the matter. Well I guess That means I'll be waiting a little longer to get a proper interface. Mabye i'm just a contrarian but the hercules DJ Trim is looking really good right now. Built in USB hub is nice. It's been talked about on here briefly before. In hindsight I suppose the Nox was just too good to be true

That Hercules DJ Trim is about £150 - that is not bad at all for a decent looking AI.

I use the ESI U46DJ (now discontinued) but that has worked brilliantly for me for years.

This one's not bad for £70:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mixvibes_umix_44.htm

and will work fine with Mixxx

Grab a Nox 303 here: http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-...-Pro-Mixer/GXR with a 5 year? warranty for only £9 extra???

That's a bloody steal...

Depending on your laptop, that Mixvibes card and that Nox 303 would be a pretty nice DVS set-up for under £250...
    Last edited by Patch; 10-16-2012 at 06:18 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj