N.I. Is Trying To Make A Happy Customer Have A Sad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default N.I. Is Trying To Make A Happy Customer Have A Sad

So after a year and half of enjoying my S4 we're parting ways. I bought the Scratch upgrade kit when it was first released and slowly stopped using many of it's features with the DVS like the jog wheels, so I decided to simplify and get a mixer. Enter the Denon DNX-1600 . I sold the S4 and tried to unregister the serial#. I have an extra copy of Traktor and was planning on keeping the Scratch upgrade to use with my mixer, buuuuuuut N.I. is claiming that the completely seperate Scratch upgrade kit is locked to the S4 and that they must sell together. My friend has no need for the Scratch upgrade and definately doesn't want to pay extra for it (I paid $120 for it). Explaining my situation to N.I. they claim that I have to give away the Scratch upgrade kit because it's locked to the S4 and then buy the exact same Scratch upgrade kit (another $120) to use with my new Scratch Certified mixer. I'm slightly enraged right now and I'm looking for ways around this stupidity.

Cool Story Bra, I know.

The scratch upgrade is an add on to the license for Traktor Pro though, even if you could separate them you would still need a Traktor Pro license. Your friend just needs to get hold of a Traktor Pro license himself

Why not just give him the other serial you have laying around?

(Well, maybe I can answer my own question, is it one of those bundled to one of the Traktor hardware products and thus can't be sold independently?)
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

AFAIR there were special deals and even free upgrades for the Scratch part for Traktor/S4 so I understand them.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Why not just give him the other serial you have laying around?

(Well, maybe I can answer my own question, is it one of those bundled to one of the Traktor hardware products and thus can't be sold independently?)
    Exactly. I have the extra license from the F1 (that's non-tranferable and I get that). The guy from N.I. claims I have to sell the Scratch upgrade with my S4 then buy the exact same upgrade package for my mixer. I responded to him saying that doesn't make any sense just let me sell my S4 the way I bought it, their response was that's the way it is GFY (or something to that effect).

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    AFAIR there were special deals and even free upgrades for the Scratch part for Traktor/S4 so I understand them.
    Those were the lucky duckies that got the deal. I paid $120 and got the S4 Scratch upgrade the day it was released and didn't even whine when they halved the price 6 months later. As far as I know there was no indication on the box or in the materials that Scratch was now locked to my S4. I assumed since I bought them seperately I could sell them seperately. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems illogical to me.

AFAIK Scratch is tied to Traktor so you need a Traktor license. If you give this away as part of the S4 you don't have one left... Just get a F1 or something similar to get one back.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    AFAIK Scratch is tied to Traktor so you need a Traktor license. If you give this away as part of the S4 you don't have one left... Just get a F1 or something similar to get one back.
    The Traktor license is not the issue. That's tied to the S4. I have an extra Traktor license from my F1. They're claiming that the Scratch Upgrade kit that you have to buy for the S4 or any NI soundcard or Certified mixer to use DVS is somehow locked to whatever product you register it for. For example if you had an Audio 8 and bought the Scratch Upgrade kit and later wanted to sel the kit but keep the A8 you can't because somehow they are now locked together. In my case I want to sell the S4 exactly how I bought it and keep the Scratch kit exactly how I bought it. "THE MAN" in his quest to keep me down says NO.

Tech Mentor

it is an upgrade to your s4. the deal was only made available to you because you bought the s4. it says this on the product page:

traktor scratch upgrade kit.

Available for users of:
    AUDIO 4 DJ
    AUDIO 8 DJ
    TRAKTOR AUDIO 6
    TRAKTOR AUDIO 10
    TRAKTOR KONTROL S4
    "TRAKTOR SCRATCH Certified Mixer"

so yes, if you had an a8 and you got the scratch upgrade, then they are locked together. same as if you got the komplete crossgrade with maschine, you can't sell only that maschine cos you used that to get the special deal of the crossgrade.

afaik you can transfer the crossgrades/updates between available add on components. i.e. a lot of people who used the mk1 maschine to get the komplete crossgrade have since bought an mk2 maschine and transferred the crossgrade onto that, so they can sell their original maschine. i'd suggest being nice to customer support and asking them to switch it over to your mixer once you have registered that hardware.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by trux View Post
    it is an upgrade to your s4. the deal was only made available to you because you bought the s4. it says this on the product page:

traktor scratch upgrade kit.

Available for users of:
    AUDIO 4 DJU
    AUDIO 8 DJ
    TRAKTOR AUDIO 6
    TRAKTOR AUDIO 10
    TRAKTOR KONTROL S4
    "TRAKTOR SCRATCH Certified Mixer"

so yes, if you had an a8 and you got the scratch upgrade, then they are locked together. same as if you got the komplete crossgrade with maschine, you can't sell only that maschine cos you used that to get the special deal of the crossgrade.

afaik you can transfer the crossgrades/updates between available add on components. i.e. a lot of people who used the mk1 maschine to get the komplete crossgrade have since bought an mk2 maschine and transferred the crossgrade onto that, so they can sell their original maschine. i'd suggest being nice to customer support and asking them to switch it over to your mixer once you have registered that hardware.
    Yes, I bought an S4 and now I bought a Scratch Certified mixer I'm not seeing a difference. Am I allowed to keep the control vinyl?
    At what point do I own what I buy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast