ADHD Mixing, Your Opinion?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ADHD Mixing, Your Opinion?

How do you guys feel about djs who only play a song for 30 seconds to one minute max before cutting to another song? Personally, I don't enjoy it at all, but I feel like many listeners do enjoy it, and consider a guy who doesn't do it as no good. I like to enjoy large chunks of the song before moving to another, and would rather make a smooth transition to allow the listener to get lost in the music.

It depends. I used to do "quick mix" sections at gigs where for a short time I'd deliberately blast through a bunch of songs and it usually went down well. There are mixes I like where the DJ has packed in tons of tunes and doesn't play much of each track. But I wouldn't want to hear a DJ just doing that and I wouldn't want every mix to be like that either. If that's all a DJ is doing every single time then I'd get fed up with it very quickly. For the most part, tunes need to be allowed to breathe.
    Last edited by DJSigma; 10-16-2012 at 01:23 PM.

This guy is the worst! Only plays each song for like 3 seconds..

Quote Originally Posted by DJSigma View Post
    For the most part, tunes need to be allowed to breathe.
    I agree completely there are layers in songs that set the mood and so on that you cant get to if your not giving them time to play.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSigma
    I used to do "quick mix" sections at gigs where for a short time I'd deliberately blast through a bunch of songs and it usually went down well.
    I do this too - it's VERY effective when done well. It's the same as everything else in the DJ sphere. Overdo it, or do it for too long, or suffer from poor programming/selection, and it's gonna sound crap.

Did I mention how much fun it is???
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Yeah man, it's great when it works! Like you drop a recognisable part of a track and people get hyped, then you quickly switch to another one and so on and it's like bam, bam, bam - hitting them in the face with a flurry of great songs, haha. But like you say, you can overdo and fatigue a crowd. Just a few minutes is all you need of that really. Even 2 minutes can be enough if you do it right.

Absolutely - I like to give the quick mix a theme, or something that ties all the tracks together. Dropping 4 or 5 tunes from the same artist, or label, etc...

Always save the biggest tune for last!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Back to serious.

When you guys do this "rapid fire" stuff, do you slowly mix between the tracks or just slam it?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSwisster View Post

This guy is the worst! Only plays each song for like 3 seconds..
    Dude, you're totally missing the point. DJ Earworm is a mashup DJ who's created some of the best mashups ever IMO. With your above posted track, he's just taking a piss with the horrible state of pop music today. Go listen to some of his classic mashups, the guy's pretty freakin brilliant.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Dude, you're totally missing the point. DJ Earworm is a mashup DJ who's created some of the best mashups ever IMO. With your above posted track, he's just taking a piss with the horrible state of pop music today. Go listen to some of his classic mashups, the guy's pretty freakin brilliant.
    I know dude, I'm just trying to bring some humour to the threads!

Sorrryyyy for not being 100% serious No hate!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast