Back to Back
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Back

RavioliFaceMan

Default Back to Back

A friend and I are just sussing out how performing live together might work. My first thoughts are one guy on Traktor playing tracks on four decks with really basic effects, and the other guy on a big array of knobs for various effects in Ableton Live.

I'm not sure how well this would work live, but in the few times we have performed together, that's what ended up happening naturally. The benefit of this was being able to bounce off each other and enjoy it more, but we can't work out any system or way of communicating about timings etc.

Does anybody else DJ live with someone else? How does your setup work? Do you have any tips on how to do it well? This may have been covered in other posts but nothing I could find had quite what I was looking for.

I'm currently going through the same sussing out thing, but am not sure how to sync the Ableton effects to traktor. Any help will be appreciated!

And please don't go on about overusing effects, I just want to have some really intricate delay controls

RavioliFaceMan

On the same laptop, just get Virtual Audio Cable or something similar for Mac.
    This creates a virtual audio device that you can send your Traktor audio to. DJTT did a tutorial on this:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/04/0...-with-ableton/

If you're talking two laptops, you're gonna need to send your soundcard's output into the second laptop's input and set that as the input for Live and stick some effects on that. It's easy when you get it 'sussed' good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RavioliFaceMan View Post
    On the same laptop, just get Virtual Audio Cable or something similar for Mac.
    This creates a virtual audio device that you can send your Traktor audio to. DJTT did a tutorial on this:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/04/0...-with-ableton/

If you're talking two laptops, you're gonna need to send your soundcard's output into the second laptop's input and set that as the input for Live and stick some effects on that. It's easy when you get it 'sussed' good luck!
    If I do it with one laptop, is it possible to insert effect loops going through ableton? Otherwise I don't understand how I can use external effects and have them coming out of the s4's interface.

You'd set up a virtual sound device (eg soundflower or jack OSX if you're on a mac) to take the output from traktor and route it into ableton, and use the S4 sound card as the audio interface for ableton's output. Depending on how you want to set it up, you could use traktor in external mixing mode and output each deck to a different audio channel in ableton with the levels controlled by the S4 in midi mode. I'm not 100% up to date with how midi and NHL mappings work together on the S4 so I don't know if you can set the faders to be midi and leave everything else as standard.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Maybe it would be easiest just to have the traktor master output routed to ableton, add post-fader FX and then use an additional audio interface(which I already have) to output to the club mixer.

That would be easier. Depending on what sort of latency you end up with, even if you just use one ableton channel for the master it might still be more straightforward using a virtual audio device rather than 2 separate USB ones.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

The only reason I think that would work best is that I want to be able to headphone cue through the s4 so that has to be assigned as the traktor audio device I think.

You could route the cue through the virtual device directly to the S4 cue output, my only worry would be latency. Just experiment.

My friend and I when hanging out just swap out four or five tunes a piece and mix into each other from individual kits with mine plugged into channel D on his mixer.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/09/3...eton-together/ This is a nice video of how to do what you are talking about pretty fluidly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast