DJ/Photographer

View Poll Results: Do you engage in passive photography while at your gigs?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

3 21.43%
  • No.

4 28.57%
  • Sometimes

7 50.00%

Thread: DJ/Photographer

Tech Mentor

Default DJ/Photographer

I am in the works of purchasing a camera to photograph my gigs. I figure that doubling as a passive photographer won't be to hard, and is a great plus for anyone who hires me.

What is the genreal opinion on doubling as a photographer. Is it easier said than done? OR is it simple enough?

If you get hired as a DJ somewhere being able to take a few shots should be a plus. But as a DJ you won't be able to do the same as a fullblown Photographer would a the show though.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Wizard

Being a photographer and a DJ at the same event is going to be a tough. A dedicated photographer can take way more pictures and be able to go everywhere and anywhere when something happens.

Taking some epic photos at gigs is nice when you dj, it can add to your profile =)

Tech Guru

I don't think it hurts be skilled enough that you can quickly snap some great shots of the night but as you may have guessed you'll be limited to the booth (it'd be weird to leave your gear to snap pics) a full blown photographer will always yield better results. Just choose wisely which events/nights are worth investing in kne

You know, with the proper equipment and technique, you can pull it out no problems from the booth. In my photo gigs I always set up my camera for the context I'm at and then it's just a few dial turns and clicks and that's it (unless I'm switching lenses). i never do it from the booth though (not like I've had any chances). The thing is to actually learn how to balance flash power, exposure, iso values and what not... You'd have to be at least half skilled in any of the two things before actually merging them together, otherwise you'll just mess up your mix and your photos will come out poorly.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

Quote Originally Posted by The Pancaker View Post
    You know, with the proper equipment and technique, you can pull it out no problems from the booth. In my photo gigs I always set up my camera for the context I'm at and then it's just a few dial turns and clicks and that's it (unless I'm switching lenses). i never do it from the booth though (not like I've had any chances). The thing is to actually learn how to balance flash power, exposure, iso values and what not... You'd have to be at least half skilled in any of the two things before actually merging them together, otherwise you'll just mess up your mix and your photos will come out poorly.
    Bah! Flash? What Flash? Ilford Delta pushed to 12800 is where it's at
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    Bah! Flash? What Flash? Ilford Delta pushed to 12800 is where it's at
    That's hardcore muthafecking photog!
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1