Help! Traktor misread the BPMs on a LOT of my music (1st time DJ)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Help! Traktor misread the BPMs on a LOT of my music (1st time DJ)

Hi,

I used the import collection / analyze feature of traktor to import my music for the first time... and it got a lot of it right. It also got a lot of it wrong.

Is it sometimes a matter of pressing the /2 button? Basically it took a lot of music that shouldnt be around 160BPM and labeled it as such.

Basically will I have to go through each song and try and get it to a closer bpm?

Aside from the x2 and /2 what else do I have to make traktor realize what a better BPM is?

Also, on some of the songs - the first cue point is not really where the beat drops... is that a separate issue or one in the same?

Thanks!!!
    FORES

Tech Mentor

Having to set cuepoints and adjust the beat grid is a major part of digital djing! There are a lot of introductory articles out there, and I'm surprised how few of them touch on this. There should be a panel in each deck called "grid" where you found the x2 and /2 buttons? in that panel there are other options such as "Drop grid marker" two buttons to "nudge" the grid marker forward and back, and another two buttons to stretch the grid back and forth. use these functions to fine tune your beat grid!

Also, in the cue panel there is a drop down menu next to the trashcan, in that menu there is a "load marker" option. If you designate a cue point as a load marker, the track will always be at that cue point when you load the song into a deck. set a cue point at the first downbeat, designate it as a "load marker" and you will always have your track cued at that first beat whenever you load the song.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Tech Mentor

Try setting the BPM range narrower in the settings and reanalyzing the bad ones again.
    Try to set the range so there's no chance for Traktor to calculate the BPM as double or half what it should be.

While it reanalyzing check out some of the YouTube vids and blog articles on beatgridding.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/04/2...s-eans-method/

You are running 2.5.1, right? Otherwise supposedly 2.6 has even better bpm analyze algorithms. I run Traktor through BPM analyze on about 20-40 tracks most days and maybe one in 100 has an issue with the BPM. Mostly tracks where the intro section is non-rhythmic and it tricks the analyze code believing in some pattern being the definite pulse for the track. Some dubstep material also is tricky.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

outside of the odd 140/70 issue which isn't hard to fix, 2.5.1 is doing a remarkable job of playing nice and gridding proper bpm for me. i don't know if it matters but i have been taking the suggested bpm that blocks out the high or low value when analyzing depending on what i want.

Tap shift on the beat to set a new grid on the fly.

But yeah, Traktor is good, but not perfect.
    nope.

Tech Mentor

You might ace to change your decks to 'advanced' to see the grid part of it.
    Preferences > Decks > Click advance on what decks you preferre

Tech Wizard

I am not sure what "Tap shift on the beat" does - do you mean on the traktor s4 hardware? I can't do it on the keyboard on my macbook pro...

Thanks!
    Fores

Whoops, sorry...I'm just assuming you have an S4. On the S4 if you tap shift it will set the beat grid.

Within the program, if you have the decks setup as "advanced," there will be a tap button in the grid menu. You can see it here, looking at the screen grab in the upper right of the deck, in the bottom right of that picture there is a "Tap" button underneath the pitch fader at the bottom.

adjust.jpg
    nope.

Tech Wizard

Do you tap it in tempo so that it reads the grid... or do you just tap it once and it finds THAT downbeat and then maps everything else out after that?

Thanks!!!
    Fores

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast