The concept of using 4Decks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default The concept of using 4Decks

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to spinning but my biggest thing right now is using all 4 decks. I have a Traktor control s4 but I'm pretty much only using 2 decks when twitching to a new song. What is the concept of using the extra 2 decks... playing loops behind the songs currently playing? or what? I get you could use the sample racks and a use them that way, but I don't understand the whole concept behind using all 4 decks simultaneously... can anyone help explain?

You can use acapellas from two different songs, juggle between them while looping a drum loop from one song and the synth melody from another. You can also use one deck for your scratch samples.

If you don't need 4 decks don't use them you will just overload the sound... 9 times out of 10 you don't need them. 3 sometimes but 4 never, unless you play minimal or techno which has heaps of space for more tracks.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

I like to use mine to build songs up with. ie a bass kick on A, some Drum loops on B and some synthy/electric build ups on C/D.

Then mash/effect the A/B with the MF3D for drops and add some different stuff to C/D move the mix forward.

This is getting irksome after a while though, as i keep forgetting which deck is on/off. Im getting an F1 so i can do this a bit better!

You can cue up tracks in advance also. While two tracks are playing, you cue up the next one. If you watch Kissy Sell Out or Laidback Luke's sets, they usually do that, and use decks for scratching or acapellas.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

Tech Wizard

I use them mostly to steal build from song 'C' during the break of song 'A' while I transition into song 'B'. does that make sense?

Tech Mentor

If you play techno/tech house, you can layer your songs/loops to make a completely new sounding song. I usually use 3decks and occasionally 4.
    - 15.4" MBP 2.7 i7 - Macbook 13" - Allen&Heath Xone92R - V-Moda Crossfade LP - Pioneer HDJ-2000 - Traktor Pro2 - Xone k2 - NI Maschine - Ableton Live Suite 9 -

Sound Cloud : http://soundcloud.com/alexandercocar

I use 3 decks frequently but rarely 4 unless i'm just messing around with a mapping for the midifighter that has 4 cue points for each deck to juggle. It is fun but really not something I put in a set. When using three decks I often play a double of a track to heavily filter using the line fader for a wet dry effect, or echo freezing a vocal to carry over the same track, or mixing two tracks while working an accapella on the third. having a deck on each side means having a choice in the way I can crossfade out more than attempting to run 4 decks at once in performance.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by The Pancaker View Post
    You can cue up tracks in advance also. While two tracks are playing, you cue up the next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJJVEN View Post
    If you play techno/tech house, you can layer your songs/loops to make a completely new sounding song.
    "Sound" advice.

Geddit?

Quote Originally Posted by rukkus
    I use them mostly to steal build from song 'C' during the break of song 'A' while I transition into song 'B'. does that make sense?
    Yes. And it sounds pretty damn cool. Got any examples?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast