Can you have too much music?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can you have too much music?!

Do you thinks its possible to have too much music?

I feel that I have over 100gig and 1000 Vinyl records and to be honest I have lost track of what I have and even what to put into set's.

I have smart playlists and a simple sorting collection on my iTunes which is transferred to traktor in playlists.

how do people on here organise their music?

I definitely think it's possible to have too much music. I got to a point where i was struggling to find in my collection what i wanted, so i basically just sat one day and copied all the tracks i don't use from my main external to a back up. So not instead of having 1000 tracks on my Macbook i now only have 300. But those 300 i know i will use all the time and i know them inside out.

Eventually i will swap 100 of them for 100 newer tracks and so on.. I also have about 1000 records but only use them for personal listening now rather than gigs.

IMHO, you have too much music when you don't know 40 % of said music. It isn't a number, only a concept, so for some people a hundred songs might be too much, while someone else can have 3000 songs and know everything.

That is unless you do weddings, or mobile, or play at a top 40 place, or a place that is heavy on the requests, what i'm talking about above is more in the case of you djing what you love
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by xian View Post
    Do you thinks its possible to have too much music?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by xian View Post
    how do people on here organise their music?
    Where ALL tracks are <artist> - <release> - <##> - <title>.<codec>, my directory scheme is:

Music
    - Albums\<A-0>\<artist>\<release>\[volume]\[disc]
    - Compilations\<release>\[volume]\[disc]
    - Downloads\<Compilations | Singles>\[release | title]\[volume]
    - Live\<artist>\<release>\[volume]\[disc]
    - Soundtracks\<release>\[volume]\[disc]

This is a REALLY hard question. Smart playlists make it a LOT easier to manage large collections, but DJ's with huge collections of vinyl still manage fine...

Check out Jazzy Jeff and ?uestlove's vinyl collection.

You can certainly have too much BAD music - people do tend to build a collection for the sake of it, and don't even know that they HAVE half of the records in their collection!

As long as you are in control of your collection, and it's not bloated with stuff that you don't LOVE or don't play, then NO, your collection CAN'T be too big.

I think we should create a convention for tagging music, and ALL get in the habit of doing it as soon as we get new music. Smart playlists have blown me away - and I simply MUST go through my whole collection () and add comments that will allow me to sort based on Smart Playlist parameters. It'll go WAY beyond Key, BPM & Genre, with comments like "Banger" "Growler" "Wub" "Drums" "Peak-Time" "Transition Track" "Happy" "Funky" "Dark" "Chilled"...

This could take a while.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    "Growler"
    Hehehehehe.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yes and no. You can have to much music that you intend to play out, but you can never have to much music to listen to. I have my DJ laptop and the family computer. The family computer has over 100 gigs of music, the DJ laptop is bloated at 30 gigs.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Maybe then my question should be :

What should or if possible be a rough figure for my DJ sets!? I like to pre-plan sets, however that doesn't meant that they are stuck to it.

I am think of using some usb sticks to load my music to, when I play on my laptop.

Hmm.

I also think I have over 20Gig of bad music! haha

Tech Guru

Over a terabyte on my hard drive and 10000+ records at home. Don't have a clue where anything is but love randomly digging through shelves and finding forgotten gems.

All of my historical playlists get copied into one big playlist called traktor playlist and I often browse this folder for inspiration when stuck for something.

I think I may have acquired a bit too much music although how can you ever have enough? I love music and combined with my hoarding traits i'm swamped by it.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

I thnk that you sure can have to much music and can distract your DJ'ing
    I have around 5000 on my laptop. But I DJ differant styles and some nights it's only 80's other nights 90's but I mainly DJ never EMD.
    I'm right now doing a backup of the songs to an external drive then will go through my laptop deleteing all not wanted from it.
    I will probable get my laptop down to 3000 songs and that enough for me to play all kinds of gigs. Only style do not have anything in is Country just don't like it so would do a verry bad job at playing it.
    For a 5 hour gig you could play maybe 100 to 150 song depending on your mixing style you could go down to only 60 songs.
    So having 50000 songs is going give you problems of what to play or you prob going to be playing the same songs gig after gig and the rest will just sit there doing nothing.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast