How would one approach making a "Power Hour" mix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How would one approach making a "Power Hour" mix

I'm interested in doing one, Is there any technique in making one that sounds good?
    How do you effectively play songs for exactly 1 minute and transition to a new song and not make it sound dumb. Considering that I might want to play songs from varying genres / tempos

Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
    -Earl

Tech Guru

Id make my own edits if i was gonna do that.

Tech Convert

That is alot of edits, 60 to be exact, but yea that is a way to approach it I suppose.

What about playing at an easily-devisable tempo (120, for example) and using follow actions/quantization to automatically move to the next song? Just move the start point to a not-dumb place for each track and be creative over the transitions.

Tech Guru

How about not doing it? Nothing good comes of this....I've done power hours live and I just drop a soundbite to have ppl drink, even then its usually dumb

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by ace27 View Post
    That is alot of edits, 60 to be exact, but yea that is a way to approach it I suppose.
    1. Do the entire set in Ableton
    2. Play CD of Set to Huge Audience
    3. Jesus Pose, Throw Cake & Cranberry Juice on crowd
    4. WIN

In Seriousness though - if it were for live purposes I'd just do edits of each Track, if it were for Radio/podcast purposes I'd do it in Live

Tech Convert

Right.... i wasnt plan on doing it for a live crowd as that seems like a headache... but alot of people seem to enjoy them on youtube / soundcloud or where ever and i had an overwhelming response to people who said they would like one.

But yes, I have resorted to doing it in Ableton as I havent yet figured out how i am going to shift bpm's (from 130 to 100 for ex.) as much as i want to. Guess I will need to figure it out.

p.s. Cake and Cranberry Juice? I like it.

Tech Convert

What I would suggest is taking the buildup and main chorus of each song.. then when there is about 5-10 seconds left in that slowly introduce the next drum beat slowly and drop the new buildup.. that should be about one minute of each song..

That way you get a little mixing and not just straight dumb sounding cuts

Tech Convert

Yea ive done about 4 minutes so far and ive realized this... any suggestions for doing non EDM songs?

Tech Convert

what i use sometimes is getting a drum on a hot cue and hitting at the same time as the one that is playing so it sounds like its
    beat - synced and drop the new song just like you would an edm song

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast