external hard drive recommendations . . .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default external hard drive recommendations . . .

Hi DJTT community!

Not the most exciting of questions, but im in the process of making the switch from vinyl to scratch pro running off my macbook, im looking to buy a new portable harddrive to hold all my music that has firewire 400 because it definitely seems for continually streaming data FW is most reliable and consistently faster,

my current thought is a western digital 'my passport studio'

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=569

mainly because ive had a 'my passport' with USB for a while an put it through hell and it still works fine,

so has anyone got any suggestions?
    does anyone know if this is a decent drive?

many thanks for any thoughts,
    woof

Tech Guru

Word on the web is that that drive is solid for djs/live sets. Look around, you can get it for as low as 150 shipped.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

thanks man
    woof

yup! i can vouch for that since i use a passport studio as well. firewire is the bomb but it still has usb.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Please read the forum rules before posting. I'm moving this to the General Discussion forum. Also, please use the search function as this has been discussed already.

Thanks and welcome to DJTT
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Word of warning. Ive got WD in my laptops and they are great but ive read issues with the external ones that they "spin down" quite a lot which causes problems and device management is difficult with them.
    Like i say this something ive read, its not fact or even an opinion, just something worth looking into.
    Just sayin', ive got no complaints with my internal WD hard drives.

Yeah i've lost a WD external, but my main HD is a 500gb WD and i've had no issues with that as yet.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Word of warning. They they "spin down" quite a lot which causes problems and device management is difficult with them.
    Like i say this something ive read, its not fact or even an opinion
    I was about to post on this but you beat me to it. It is a fact. So, the current literature on WD's site says that ALL their external drives have the "spin down" feature built into the drive firmware, and that this can not be modified. The drive will spin down after 10 minutes of inactivity. WD external drives also do not respect the settings made in the energy saver control panel. Obviously this is not the best news for anyone doing time critical work like live audio.

Fortunately, there are solutions! I'm not very familiar with the Windows approach, though I've seen stuff out there on how to deal with it. For Mac, there are scripts you can implement that "touch" the drive at a specified interval to effectively prevent it form ever spinning down. For the less scripting-minded of us, a very cool someone has put together the necessary components into an applet with a GUI. I have one on my internal drive to prevent the spin down if the external HD is attached, and another on the external drive itself to prevent spin down if used as a startup drive.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...espinning.html

I recommend setting up your WD drive as a bootable backup with all your music files and audio programs, along with this applet, because the benefit is that in the event of a catastrophic drive failure, you can run your set (and OS) off your external alone, and never be worried about it spinning down. Not to mention you can restore your entire system in a pinch. It's awesome peace of mind, and you don't have to carry around a bunch of cds.

Another word on Macs and using the WD externals as a bootable backup with Firewire: It is also not officially supported. The workaround is to leave the drive unplugged, restart your mac, and hold down the option key. This allows you to select the startup disk (this doesn't work for a firewire connection via system prefs/startup disk - you can select the external, but it won't actually start up using this drive). Once you see you main drive, plug in the firewire connection, and the external becomes available as a boot drive.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

sorry DvlsAdvct!

an thanks all for the info,

especially Zac Kyoti! much appreciated,

ok well currently i have another portable HD form LaCie which has a more basic version of a bootable backup with the current WD 'passport' serving as my main track storage and then running Traktor off the laptop, so the plan was to just use this new WD one as my main music storage device for playing out with, will definitely look into the scripts though because it does sound like some the pauses in load time are due to the drive spinning down.

i still feel confidant in the drive and especially with the newly gained control from the applet, so think im going to go for it!
    Last edited by etch; 07-10-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    woof

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Another option is for an internal hard drive and an enclosure. I love these because of the modularity of it. I want a bigger hard drive? Just swap it out and swap in a new one.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast