A little help

Thread: A little help

Tech Student

Default A little help

Hi There

I'm new to the forum and basiclly joined to gain a little advice

I have been considering buy some basic starter dj equpiment for about 6 months now and i'm looking for suggestions to suit those needs. I have been looking at the Noviation Launchpad.

to begin wih i just want to get to grips with the basics of mixing and doing something more with music other than listening and enjoying it

any help would be great

thanks alex

I would stay clear of the launchpad, Its not for beginners in my opinion. go on ebay and pick up a second hand numark omni controll or something similar. Thats my advice

I say grab something like the Mixtrack Pro or Hercules MK4. You can get the ddj wego if you feel like spending a bunch of money on a really basic controller with the Pionner tag on it and be in the "cool kids club".
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Wizard

+1 for the Mixtrack Pro. Its inexpensive, has an internal soundcard and all of the basic DJ functions.

To reiterate the point that BFLY made: steer clear of equipment that takes a lot of technical knowledge to operate well. At this point something that requires midi mapping probably is not a good idea for you. One of the most important choices you can make right now is software. The Novation Launchpad you mentioned earlier uses Ableton Live. Although it can be used for performing live - it is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) and not really geared towards beginners. I recommend checking out Traktor, VirtualDJ, or a free solution like Mixxx.

Another good source of information when your starting out is http://digitaldjtips.com. I believe there is a video course, too.

Tech Student

Thanks guys

I'll check those suggestions out

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Let's not forget CMD studio 4A which should be out next month.