Akai midi controller vs Ableton new "Push" midi controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard Ls4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    30

    Default Akai midi controller vs Ableton new "Push" midi controller

    Question for my DJTT compadres here. I'm actually a guy with no previous knowledge about music in general just a person who enjoy the way music is played at the clubs and that love to play around with music equipment but I guess I got into this a bit late maybe since I got a house full of kids now that is. Well enough about me, the question is the fallowing: Are akai Midi controller like the "MPK61" basically the same as using a "Push" which is the new controller Ableton will be releasing. I like the idea of play with the "MPK" because I feel comfortable playing the Midi as a Piano (keyboard) or using the "Push" will provide more control to operating the Ableton software. Let me know what you think. Thanks

  2. #2
    Tech Guru PeteWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    569

    Default

    basically you need to know what you want from a controller man, you sound to me like you definitely want to use ableton, but there are many different options. you're opening a whole can of worms because there are literally so many controllers out there. do you just want to play 2 tracks at a time and mix them? or use loops to build tracks on the fly?

    theres always the apc40 if you want direct integration as well! tell us more what you intend to do with your djing, and if you're intending on producing as well, how you sort of want everything to fit together. theres so many controllers that fit different workflows, and so much software out there if you decided just to opt for a straight up 4 decks dj software instead.
    welcome to djing by the way mate

  3. #3
    Tech Wizard Ls4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    basically you need to know what you want from a controller man, you sound to me like you definitely want to use ableton, but there are many different options. you're opening a whole can of worms because there are literally so many controllers out there. do you just want to play 2 tracks at a time and mix them? or use loops to build tracks on the fly?

    theres always the apc40 if you want direct integration as well! tell us more what you intend to do with your djing, and if you're intending on producing as well, how you sort of want everything to fit together. theres so many controllers that fit different workflows, and so much software out there if you decided just to opt for a straight up 4 decks dj software instead.
    welcome to djing by the way mate
    Thank Pete, To try to answer some of you question let me say that I invested some money already on some NI equipment and software. I presently have the S4 & F1 and to be clear event the Maschine-Mikro. I play mainly at friends and family events because I feel I got lot of more development to do to feel rather like a better than average DJ. Spinning other DJ mixed song its okey to a point but I feel like I'm not being original. So I'm looking for some creativity and since I have Maschine I know that great things can be done with it, and then I came across Ableton and enjoy what I saw. The Person I saw was using an Akai MPK49 which look more like a real musical instrument than a controller which is something I always wanted to learn how to play but I do not want to sacrificed the software manageability by the controller type. So to summarize what I think I'm looking to do is to play as good as a respectable club Dj but be original on music mixed and style of playing. Jajaja I got to laugh at me because I want to do all this with house full of kids. Sorry for the long explanation.

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor m00n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ls4life View Post
    Thank Pete, To try to answer some of you question let me say that I invested some money already on some NI equipment and software. I presently have the S4 & F1 and to be clear event the Maschine-Mikro. I play mainly at friends and family events because I feel I got lot of more development to do to feel rather like a better than average DJ. Spinning other DJ mixed song its okey to a point but I feel like I'm not being original. So I'm looking for some creativity and since I have Maschine I know that great things can be done with it, and then I came across Ableton and enjoy what I saw. The Person I saw was using an Akai MPK49 which look more like a real musical instrument than a controller which is something I always wanted to learn how to play but I do not want to sacrificed the software manageability by the controller type. So to summarize what I think I'm looking to do is to play as good as a respectable club Dj but be original on music mixed and style of playing. Jajaja I got to laugh at me because I want to do all this with house full of kids. Sorry for the long explanation.

    From my experience:

    I started out with Ableton, tried pretty much everything in between and now have been using it as my go to for the past 6+ months.. I love it and you can do basically anything you need within it. Now saying that, its a bitch and a half to get your head around, and once you start understanding things, you realize you know absolutley nothing and this is going to be a VERRRRRRRYYYYYY long journey. If your aren't ready for the journey then find another piece of software.. With that said...

    Its hard to comment on the Push as it hasn't been released yet. I will be picking one up to try for myself. If you plan on trying to produce anything or ever want to play in some synth lines, or drum beats, i honestly have to say, for me, nothing beats a keyboard.... I am a synth lover through and through so i spend most of my time just designing obscure sounds, basslines and synths, but i have come to find out that my two most used tools in Live is my keyboard and my APC running as a step sequencer.. I dont ever seem to use my padKontrol and when i do its on full velocity and i just go back and adjust inside Live. It really depends on your workflow, and how you approach Live when you sit down and get inspired. I've found some gear to inspire me to no ends(APC), while other gear i thought i was going to LLOOVVEEE just didn't do anything for me(launchpad)... Everyone comes at Live different and will ultimately need a different set of "tools" for their job. For me, I need at least 49 keys9(prefer 88) w/ pitchbend and modwheel, something to run 2- 16 step sequences on, 6+ faders, 8+ endless encoders, and an external mixer..(i prefer to have pots for eq'ing thats why i like to externally mix)

    My biggest piece of advice I can give is TAKE YOUR TIME. Test stuff out, watch reviews, think about how you could use it, how often would it get used, is it realistic for your situation vs the price? If it passes all those and you still think you need it, sleep on it for a week, then if ya still have to have it, go ahead and buy it... Honestly i wasted too much time and hard earned money just finding out that I really didn't like the latest "fad" or that new controller that seemed to have everything i ever wanted just to be disappointed.. IMO, you can't ever go wrong with a midi keyboard that has some faders, few encoders, and a couple drum pads.. You could Mix, Play, Jam, do anything with just that, and honestly, everything else other then that is just bonus...


    haha, sorry for the damn book, hope you got something out of it at least..
    Last edited by m00n; 10-27-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: took my "f-bomb" out, lol..
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor Scaper7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    130

    Default

    I can't imagine a more inspiring Ableton Live controller than Push ... seriously good I'm sure.

  6. #6
    Tech Guru Patch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    6,467

    Default

    The answer to your question is NO. Pad controllers like the Akai's are performance controllers. The Push is basically a front end for producing in Ableton. And an awesome one at that.

    I don't think there's anything that you can do with a pad controller that you CAN'T do with the Push.

    But there's a WHOLE lot that the Push can do that pad controllers can't. (Unless you've got an unnatural LOVE for large drum pads... )
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

    Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

  7. #7
    Tech Wizard Ls4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    The answer to your question is NO. Pad controllers like the Akai's are performance controllers. The Push is basically a front end for producing in Ableton. And an awesome one at that.

    I don't think there's anything that you can do with a pad controller that you CAN'T do with the Push.

    But there's a WHOLE lot that the Push can do that pad controllers can't. (Unless you've got an unnatural LOVE for large drum pads... )
    Thank for the info to each of you. I guess it comes down to how I like my workflow to feel. Both way I should get good resort. The one thing that I like about using an Akai type of controller is the feeling of being playing a more natural musical instrument which may be the deciding factor at this time for which I go with it, Plus I'm not doing many club gig hence the "Push" controller would had being the best option considering space. Thank a lot for the on point information.

  8. #8
    Tech Guru Patch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    6,467

    Default

    I really like the idea of a using The Push alongside a decent pad controller. If The Push REALLY IS the hardware front end that we've all always wantd for Live, I'll be getting one. In fact - I might sell my Axiom 49 in preparation for the buying the Push...

    I REALLY like that idea...

    Tom Cosm likes it - and that dude knows his shit.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

    Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

  9. #9
    Tech Guru Otacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    I vote for the Push from what it sounds like you want to do. You wanna make original material and play it live like a musical instrument, so that would be a great controller to do it with especially since you can have the step sequencer and drum pads at the same time. Like said a billion times above, it comes down to your workflow.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

  10. #10
    Tech Wizard ZooTV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    33

    Default

    It seems to me like push is hella expensive. Personally, I'd rather an apc or launchpad. All these controllers are good for either playing live or producing. It mostly boils down to how well you can map midi, which controller you're more comfortable with, and what your cash flow is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •