Marketing & What makes a good dj?

Default Marketing & What makes a good dj?

This thread consists of 2 main questions

1. How do i get heard?

2. What makes a good dj?

and they are very related. Im from Monterrey, Mexico. There are 2 Top Local Dj's, one of them alos happens to be labeled as Mexico's best dj. Ive been djing and producing edm for the last 4 months, but im no stranger to music, ive been playing piano for 15 years and producing for 4 years. What motivated me to write this, is that in my opinion neither of them deserves the title "Top Dj". They are good, or maybe slightly above average in their production and djing, yet they get gigs every weekend on top clubs.

Here is some of their stuff.

Diego Samar, called mexicos top dj, has opened for tiesto, steve aoki, markus shultz, axwell, will open for avicii and so on.

his own material
    http://soundcloud.com/diego_samar/di...ight-feat-phat

his remixes
    http://soundcloud.com/diego_samar/ca...-diez-mini-set

which are good, but deserves the title top dj?

Jorge Medina

http://soundcloud.com/medzofficial/b...sics-promo-set

he only remixes as far as i know.

From my perspective, samar has a REALLY long way to go production wise. My question is how do i get there? Yesterday i uploaded a remix and shared it on fb a lot and and gave it lots of rotation and it only has 70 plays, my live remix of niggas in paris has like 700 views in nearly 2 months now. How do i attract attention?

I feel like im better than both of them, many of my friends claim so, but im having trouble getting out there, getting heard.

Here's some of my stuff

2 Remixes/Mashups i made yesterday

http://soundcloud.com/davidhinojosa/...-the-cobra-sky

http://soundcloud.com/davidhinojosa/...omero-hardwell

Live Mashup i made

Some of my own stuff

http://soundcloud.com/davidhinojosa/...stered/s-zXnhE

I dont claim im the best, im far from it, but i do feel like im better than these 2 guys, any words of motivation?

Tech Mentor

Not sure if you've noticed, but a DJ's skill and his popularity can have little to no correlation

are you going out to the right spots? meeting the local promoters?

networking goes a long way... maybe pass some of your tunes to these djs for their gigs to get noticed

Usually the best DJ's (in my opinion) are a cities best kept secret and don't have "label's" telling the world they're the best. It depends on whether your opinion of what makes a great DJ is popularity or talent.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

First of all. I'd suggest you stop comparing yourself to anyone. That will get you no where. Yes, watch the best around you and try to pick out what makes them special, unique and even better. But don't even think about comparing yourself to them, because you are you and they are someone else. You will never be like them and if you are close to being like them, you'll never be any better. Secondly, if you haven't gotten to where these "other guys" are at, but you do want to get there at some point, then try to get to know them and maybe even get one to be your mentor. That will be the fastest way to learn how they made it to the position they are in and you can use those lessons for your own purpose/ advantage. Be warned though, you'll need to be able to offer something to your mentor, so he will be willing to teach you and this other guy, the mentor, will also need to be open to teaching someone, who might even rise above him. Most people are selfish and don't like to do that. Thirdly, practice, practice and practice even more. It takes at a minimum 10,000 hours at doing the same thing, the whole time, before you can even consider being professional enough to do that one thing as an independent business and be really successful at it. 10,000 hours is about 4.5 years of full-time work doing about 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week. So, if you haven't invested this kind of time into your DJing, then don't expect to be getting much back out of it either. Success just doesn't come overnight!

scamo

BTW, that Bingo Players JayZ mashup seems to be a popular one.
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

I don't know much about dj promoting but I know a little about production promoting. I noticed that local DJs, even one that I'd describe as 'something else' and play out about 4 nights a week in big clubs only tend to have about 50 downloads/700 plays in about 3/4 month on quite promoted sets. You could be producing for four month and can get 100 downloads and 600 plays on a track in just over a week. Make it good, play your cards right and get it on some blogs. From a musicians point of view you'd assume that a lot more people are actively interested in music than they are... DJs are people who are really into music, keep your production game up and appeal to them
    Last edited by elliot1106; 10-27-2012 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Don't worry scamo haha

hehehe....corrected.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by scamo View Post

BTW, that Bingo Players JayZ mashup seems to be a popular one.
    i know, but its my take on it

What you know, will bring you to the top and allow you to keep you getting gigs.

WHO you know, will get your foot in the door.

Get out to the nights. Become a regular. Network. Figure out the other people locally who are pulling the strings behind the scenes, and not just the other DJ's. It's a lot of behind the scenes work and not just pure talent, unless your production is truly mind-blowing.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter