Who are some non traditional "DJs" and what do they use in their set up?
    Tech Mentor

Default Who are some non traditional "DJs" and what do they use in their set up?

I use the term 'DJ' loosely. But besides people like Deadmau5, Jame Zabiela, madeon, who are the other DJs/ or live electronic musicians, that use thing besides CDJs or turntables. I'm looking to start branching out from traditional DJing but I want to see what other people are using.

thanks!

Tech Mentor

Well, DJing in itself is just a mixer and some turntables/CDJs/controllers or whatever.

The best way to branch out is to start making your own tunes. Originals, remixes, re-edits, bootlegs, mashups, etc. Using a Live based setup you can break away from traditional DJing and start performing.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Janky View Post
    Well, DJing in itself is just a mixer and some turntables/CDJs/controllers or whatever.

The best way to branch out is to start making your own tunes. Originals, remixes, re-edits, bootlegs, mashups, etc. Using a Live based setup you can break away from traditional DJing and start performing.
    ya I understand that. I was using DJing for a lack of a better term. I know that the better phrase would be live electronic musician or somewhere along those lines. I already produce my own music. What Im looking for are artists who are using things besides turntables to perform live i.e. like the maschine, launchpads, lemurs ect ect. Im just doing research and seeing what and how other artists are using a live setup

Tech Mentor

You're thinking about it backwards. You need to figure out the workflow you want for playing music, and figure out the gear that works best for that.

Quote Originally Posted by oilythread View Post
    You're thinking about it backwards. You need to figure out the workflow you want for playing music, and figure out the gear that works best for that.
    this ... you can use this for reference if you are wondering the various different setups. http://turntablelab.com/pages/beginn...uipment-setups

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Mentor

most people who make chiptune don't even use turntables, just loopers and such

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by oilythread View Post

fellas, you're missing my point completely. first of all, thanks for the input I really do appreciate you guys and this forum always wanting to help. But I'm in the research phase. I just want to see what other acts are using. I watched the Deadmau5 Future Music interview and he went through his live set up from 2010 and that was interesting just to see what/how he used his stuff. I have ideas of what my workflow would be I just want to see what other people are doing. Im already pretty sure I'll be using some sort of traktor kontroller, launchpad, maschine, and a midi keyboard, but I want ideas to see what else is out there.

Im literally just looking for some names of artists who use things besides turntables and CDJs live.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    fellas, you're missing my point completely. first of all, thanks for the input I really do appreciate you guys and this forum always wanting to help. But I'm in the research phase. I just want to see what other acts are using. I watched the Deadmau5 Future Music interview and he went through his live set up from 2010 and that was interesting just to see what/how he used his stuff. I have ideas of what my workflow would be I just want to see what other people are doing. Im already pretty sure I'll be using some sort of traktor kontroller, launchpad, maschine, and a midi keyboard, but I want ideas to see what else is out there.

Im literally just looking for some names of artists who use things besides turntables and CDJs live.

thanks again
    A massive cluster of personalized controllers, sequencers, samplers, and synths, personally tuned to each individual artist's whims. It's extremely difficult to pinpoint an answer to your question, because the answer is literally continuously variable.

In the "research phase" you need to figure out your workflow, and find what suits that, because other people's setups might not make sense, or work for you at all. There's virtually no commutability between custom live setups.

Tech Convert

Chris Liebing

Richie Hawtin (couple years old)

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=59662
    This member has very awesome and interesting setup.

There is also Dubfire, dubfx, beardyman.... Etc. Then you also have a lot of people who have adopted the ext. Mixer and X1/F1 combos, APC40/80's, the new abelton push.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________