New controller setup - Oxygen 8?
    Tech Wizard

Default New controller setup - Oxygen 8?

Hey guys,

I have been learning to DJ digitally for a few months using the Numark Omnicontrol, which I now want to replace. The main problem with the Omnicontrol, as others may know, is the feedback/static noise you get when using active speakers with the laptop is plugged in, which seems unavoidable and sucks.

I was looking at the Oxygen 8. My questions are:

1) What extra equipment do I need to go with it? At the moment I do all my mixing with the controller, but I figure the Oxygen 8 would require me to buy an external soundcard and mixer (as I can’t see any crossfaders on the keyboard). Am I right? I think that’s probably a n00b question...

2) Would it be mega complicated to setup? I’m computer savvy, but not expert.

3) As I don’t have ambitions to be a ‘controllerist’, I just want enough tricks in my arsenal to mix smooth and smart – so is this setup going to work for me, or would I be making a big mistake not buying a VCI-100?

Grateful for any views. I think this is possibly the best website and forum anywhere on the internet!

Tech Wizard

1,yes
    2,no
    3,yes

I would buy the vci instead, you would still need an external soundcard though.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

1) If you already have a controller, all you need is an audio interface. Don't need a mixer, cause you can use knobs, faders, buttons, anything as a crossfader. Though, if you are looking for more classic controls then you might want to look into something to augment your Oxygen8.

2) It wouldn't be complicated at all. Plug and play, for most pieces and then just build a TSI.

3) An Oxygen8 will give you enough tricks, a VCI will give you different tricks, but you should be fine
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I used a Oxy8 most of the time while learning traktor. There is enough there to do some fabulous mix, tricks and transitions. But just like anyone else you might want something more in the future. Good thing is, they only cost about $100 US. Plus you can use it for production.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys. That makes sense.

I notice a lot of people seem to have both the VCI-100 and the Oxygen 8 in their setups. Is there a simple answer to why? What functions are you using each device for?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, you can use the Oxygen8 to do anything, really. I know I've used second controllers for beatjuming, cue juggling, and more advanced loop control. You can set the VCI up to do almost anything, but it gets really chaotic and complicated with the variables/presets. The extra stuff can be put on the Oxygen
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall