Beginner ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner ?

Tech Convert

Default Beginner ?

Soo, I started mixing on Virtual DJ in May and right now I'd like to move further. Will be getting the Midi Fighter 3D at the end of November and hopefully the Traktor S2 end of January 2013.

Most of the DJs my age (15-17) are guys and so I'd like to be the first female teenage DJ in my area. Although they're all underage, they still get gigs at clubs that 21 year olds go to and I want that.

Just like find out if I can produce my own music on the two devices I'll have next year and a Macbook Pro?

And in your opinion, do you think it would be better for me to start on my own and do the singing and DJing by myself, or have my mate with me and let her do the singing in the production of songs?

Also, if someone has the time and patience, please could you explain to me the significance of the different knobs on the Traktor S2

Reply, bitches <3

-Kwazz

Tech Mentor

Well, I don't have an S2 but I can tell you that it may be unwise to get a midi fighter BEFORE you get a controller.

Tech Convert

Would an example of a controller be one of the Traktor board thingys ?

get a numark mixtrack and an Audio2. Good place for someone to start.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Convert

That's probably a good idea, but I dont really want to keep upgrading my equipment and my mother only goes to London evey 2 years. So is it possible to get the Traktor and just learn as I go ?

Welcome to the forum.

Yeh I'd definitely get the S2 before the MF3D. Midifighters are good for adding effects and flair to a DJ performance, but there's no point trying that until you have the basics down. If you're asking what the different knobs do, it's obvious you haven't yet mastered the basics.

Production and DJing are related but entirely different disciplines. I'd focus on one rather than the other to start with. Don't try and run before you can walk, as they say. In terms of 'producing with those devices', neither is really suited to production, but I suppose you could use them to some extent. Tbh tho, all you need to learn production is a DAW, your keyboard and mouse and a LOT of time, determination and dedication.

Overall, remember that ambition is great, but don't expect to be headlining your favourite club or topping the charts in 6 months. It all takes time and practice.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

Ohkay, ya - I get you. I wont have my expectations too high and I'll start learning to DJ and then incorporate vocals once I'm comfortable with DJing. I'm going to get both the Traktor and the MF3D and just put the MF3D away until I almost have an idea about what I'm doing and how I want to do it.

Shot owes - you've been helpful x

http://www.amazon.com/DJing-Dummies-.../dp/0470032758

If you can a take bit of sting as being labelled as a dummy, then give this book a go! I bought this and an S4 and sat myself down and started from scratch (well, a bit of help from a mate) But it brought me on at least. explains just about everything!

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    started from scratch
    I see wut you did thar...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

Hahaha , I'll download it now. Did it explain all the concepts and techniques and shit like that ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast