Gigs: Type of Music
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gigs: Type of Music

I particularly like Electro, Progressive, House, etc. For the time being I want to do local gigs and prepare some music. Should I have a little bit of everything? Or what? Help me out here lol What are your playlists consists of?
    Last edited by Skyline; 10-30-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Only play Trap.

Kidding.

Depends where you are trying to play. Have a bit of everything if you want to play open format. Have house if you want to play house. Etc etc...

I absolutely love my disco house/funky house. But when I'm DJ'ing in bars and clubs.. It's just not enough.

I have to draw from all genres of house, whether it be dropping a bit of tech that everyone knows, to some SHM.

You can't play what you want at a gig anymore IMO. It's not like the past where people relied on DJ's to select songs and people appreciate what the DJ chose and then try and find out what it is. With the internet, crowds tend to know what tunes they want to hear, they're hardly ever interested in anything new. "PLAY SOME SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA" is a regular phrase i hear every goddamn night.

But then you get people asking for black sabbath and metallica when I'm obviously playing house music. They just get told to shoo!
    http://soundcloud.com/squirec Mixes mainly containing funky/disco/chicago/swing house. Although, there's always room for a little something different.
    Equipment: 15" Macbook Pro (Mid 2012), Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol X1, Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk2 x 2, Pioneer DJM 700, Sennheiser HD25 Mk2 headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    Only play Trap.
    lol to this. You just gotta get out there and feel the crowd man. I usually play electro/trap/dubstep but at a party I played last weekend people were in LOVE with moombah. You just gotta be prepared for everything, and expand your tastes into a plethora of genres.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Wizard

Try to have remixes (or originals I guess) of popular music, maybe do a bit of digging before your gig to find out what's hot to where you're playing. I got caught at a party on saturday with a limited variety of styles, and while I was mostly well received, there were some sour cunts who were upset that I didn't have their top40 requests.

Big Bad Wolf by Duck sauce would fit into a Halloween mix for sure.

Tech Mentor

Estonia probably isn't a classical country about genres of dance music,
    but if I have my DNB I could rock all the clubs that I could play at this point of my career.

Tech Guru

It all depends on what places you think you are trying to play at. I can tell you, if you're planning at playing at a bar or any open format place, no offense to anyone, but places around here, pretty much all the suggestions given, except for the first one, would bomb. SO I'm guessing that you want to know what you're playlist should consist of if you're pplaying in front of a general crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    It all depends on what places you think you are trying to play at. I can tell you, if you're planning at playing at a bar or any open format place, no offense to anyone, but places around here, pretty much all the suggestions given, except for the first one, would bomb. SO I'm guessing that you want to know what you're playlist should consist of if you're pplaying in front of a general crowd?
    As much as I hate to say it. This is true But hey if you start them off with some Top 40 then wait for everyone to get trashed they will go for just about any EDM.

Works for me every time

Thanks for all the replies. I know some areas have different taste and what not. I go all over the place in South Jersey. I have to dig in and pick out. Keep the posts coming interested in seeing more answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast