How do people utilize dual drive laptops?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do people utilize dual drive laptops?

So I am thinking about merging my 2 macbooks.
    Typically one is used strictly for mixing, the other for day to day use and school work. I am about to graduate and think 2 laptops may be overkill. I thought having adding an SSD to the one i want to keep for all my mixing and music stuff.
    Am I correct this should give me solid reliability?
    Would I have an OS on each drive, or just the music related files?
    I am new to this, so I am curious to see how people utilize their dual drive setups, and/or which direction i should go.
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

have your os and programs on one and your all of your music/files/docs on the other
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Would the OS and programs typically go on the SSD as it is the more stable of the two, and the music and files on the HD as they are more space consuming?
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

I run dual SSD one for boot and programs secondary for samples and music which works great. I have a full library on my main desktop and I just transfer tracks as I go through them... In all honesty I have only 30gbs of tracks on secondary ssd since doing this. It makes you more conscious about what to pick to use.

Just my 2 cents

Guess should add I have been using ssd for work and home mix of ocz and intel ssd and have had only one ssd fail out of 30+ deployed in the field.. Wasn't even an ocz was one of the intels that failed

Tech Mentor

Keep two laptops. Every DJ should have a mirrored backup laptop...

Even having two drives in RAID configuration can't beat the dependability of two machines.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Every DJ should have a mirrored backup laptop...
    Wow, seriously? Backup CDs are fine and cost a helluva lot less than mirroring your entire laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    I am curious to see how people utilize their dual drive setups, and/or which direction i should go.
    I have a 240GB OCZ SSD as my boot drive with the OS, applications etc stored on it. My optibay has a 640GB WD HDD that stores music, movies, etc. I did have a 750GB but a flying can of beer took it out. Thank Jobs for time machine.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Wow, seriously? Backup CDs are fine and cost a helluva lot less than mirroring your entire laptop.
    If you use CDJ's, then that's fine. But people that rely on their computers aren't usually as good with straight CDJ's and don't have their CD collection cued / looped / prepped.

If you do that, great. But a mirrored backup laptop is cheap, space-efficient, and the easiest way to make sure that you can seamlessly pick up your set exactly how you left off in the case of a crash.

Not to mention only clubs typically have in-house CDJ's. If you DJ elsewhere or at a club that doesn't have them... and you only have one laptop... You're screwed.
    Last edited by sss18734; 10-31-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Tech Guru

I utilise mine exactly as the previous posters have mentioned and had no problems whatsoever. Using an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 120gb which seems ample space.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

All I'm saying is that you should definitely have backup options, but a whole backup laptop is pretty extreme.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast