Anyone have any experience reinstalling using Time Machine
    Tech Guru

Default Anyone have any experience reinstalling using Time Machine

Hey guys, I just spent about an hour and half trying to get my MBP to work. I kept getting the grey screen before I even got to the login screen telling me to power down and restart. I'm considering, doing one final backup while my computer is still working and doing a reinstall of leopard then restoring from my Time Machine backup image so I don't lose any of my Traktor stuff. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have not done this before with a Mac and timemachine but I do a similar thing very often on windows enviroment.
    If you are able to boot your mac you should do one final backup copy and then follow the instructions from apple in order to restore those files on a new OS using the time capsule:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1177?viewlocale=en_US

If you are not able to boot your mac now in order to perform a backup you can check the time machine documentation in order to see if you may execute a backup prior booting the system, using it as a boot media.

If you are not able to do this I would recommend using another imaging software. Which can be used prior boot.

Tech Guru

i have restored from time machine once. took a lot of time (i have a 320gb hd) and afterwards a few apps required me to re-register, but that was probably due to also switching to another laptop. other than that everything was smooth.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

I'ved used TM and it does it job, it does take some time. I would say if you can get you MBP to boot up get a program called CCC (carbon copy clone) and back up ur hard disk to an external HD just in case TM doesnt work.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

btw .. CCC is alot faster in block mode .. for this you need a separate mac to connect the source and target HD though ..
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Guru

Hey guys problem seems to be fine now, I uninstalled firefox, for some reason thats when the massive lock up would happen. My MBP has never been so locked up before I almost contemplated selling it to buy a new 15 inch but what a rip off that the cheapest 15 inch MBP doesn't even come with a dedicated video card.

If your machine was locking up on boot, I can't imagine any reason why uninstalling Firefox would cure the problem, because Firefox runs entirely in userland (i.e. - no kernel extensions). Whatever you were planning to do before (like reinstalling the OS, etc.) may still be worth doing.
    reason, live7, traktor pro, m-audio x-session, m-audio O2, KRK RP5, Roland RD300sx