Good Maschine Tutorials...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good Maschine Tutorials...?

Looking for some good tutorials of using Maschine synced with Traktor. Basically looking for tutorials of how people are using it synced with Traktor. I know how to set it all up nd get it synced. Just looking for something a bit further...

Thanks

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

So you want someone to be technical enough to manage to get Maschine synced to Traktor and creative enough to make a video showing how they use it? Good luck with that.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

lol... yeah sounds about right...

Use the Maschine as a MIDI output device in Traktor (I haven't done it in a while, but the Maschine's DIN MIDI ports come up as a special device). Route Maschine to accept a clock input from the Maschine's MIDI in (same type of device). Then plug the Maschine into itself with a DIN MIDI cable. I don't know why people dick around with VAC or Jack so much when there's a MIDI loop on their own hardware.

If you're using an S4, this gets even easier, as you just use the MIDI out on the S4, and the MIDI in on the Maschine (heh heh, almost like real hardware).

If you're on OSX, there's actually a special Traktor Virtual MIDI applet (just a Google search away!) that hijacks Soundflower and skips all the cablework.

Note that Traktor isn't particularly good at translating a beat grid to a MIDI pulse with latency, and Maschine (and any sequencer really) tends to take clock ins as loose suggestions rather than strict "outputted grids" ala Pioneer's ProDJ Link. Expect tempos to be synced, but prepare to nudge and listen if you plan on using patterns.

EDIT: Didnt actually read the post. Leaving that up for archiving sake though.

To actually answer the question, I really don't see Maschine and Traktor linking up too great in practice. Mostly as a transition between the two. Maschine owners tend to either use them as a very expensive trigger finger (Christ). Or just perform solely on them. I mostly think of Maschine as the performance tool, and Traktor as the dedicated loop jockey, because Maschine is horrible at loops outside the current pattern.
    Last edited by Shishdisma; 10-31-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    To actually answer the question, I really don't see Maschine and Traktor linking up too great in practice. Mostly as a transition between the two. Maschine owners tend to either use them as a very expensive trigger finger (Christ). Or just perform solely on them. I mostly think of Maschine as the performance tool, and Traktor as the dedicated loop jockey, because Maschine is horrible at loops outside the current pattern.
    I don't want to trigger loops...tat is quite pointless since I can simply do that in Traktor via my F1. I want to use it to play live drus like Dufire does basically, and I know lots of people doing this, I was just wondering if there are good tutorials or even jut some in-depth vids of people doing it where I can actually see the drumming etc.

How does Hawtin integrate it with Traktor? Anyone have an idea?
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

I've noticed a direct sync between traktor and maschine is rather unworkable. The fluctuation of the bpm is not good at all. If you host Maschine in Ableton and sync that with traktor (something Chris Liebing does for instance) the fluctuation is a lot less and actually workable for sure. If you have the cpu for it

For tutorials on use, Chris Liebing has some movies online (including one on the frontpage) which explains a lot and I like the movies of the Collabs sessions with Speedy J too for inspiration.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

@firebr4nd I'm pretty sure he uses Ableton for the overall syncing. He has some serious midi control for his visuals too from Ableton. There is some footage of his red bull music academy workshop where he explains the live-shows and how it's routed. Pretty interesting stuff I think.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Tech Guru

BUNCH of tutorials here. It's not free but its worth joining for a couple months and check them out!

http://maschinetutorials.com/ I was a member for many months and really enjoyed the videos. Only reason I quit the service is to redirect that money to record pools.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    I don't want to trigger loops...tat is quite pointless since I can simply do that in Traktor via my F1. I want to use it to play live drus like Dufire does basically, and I know lots of people doing this, I was just wondering if there are good tutorials or even jut some in-depth vids of people doing it where I can actually see the drumming etc.
    What dubfire, liebing, and hawtin do is just throw it in step sequencer mode and then just turn on and off steps on the pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast