How do I set up an external mixer?
    Tech Wizard

Default How do I set up an external mixer?

Currently I use a Faderfox DJ2, Akai MPD24, and a presonus firebox. What I'm thinking is ditching the Akai MPD24 and possibly the faderfox, and getting the AKAImpd32 and using an external mixer alongside it. My other option is going with my Maschine and using that alongside an external mixer. My question is this: Say I've mapped out my maschine to control all the functions I need except gain/eq's/ Xfader/Volume Sliders, and I leave all those basic functions up to an external mixer. How do I route the audio signal to the external mixer? Do i go from computer to soundcard to mixer and then back to soundcard then out to speakers? or do I just go soundcard to mixer to speakers?
    Macbook 2.4ghz dual core 2GB, Traktor Pro2, Kontrol S4

www.thenewtoronto.ca
    www.facebook.com/futurebassface

Soundcard to mixer to speakers buddy
    You can either route your signal to 1 channel on the mixer (using that as your master), or use 2 channels and monitor off the mixer instead of the soundcard. With the new update for traktor you can use both internal AND external modes so you can monitor off the mixer and still use the midi controllers for the mixing part. We sorta do half and half at the moment, i still prefer the knobs on the DJM for eqing.
    Last edited by Jester; 07-09-2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

how many decks are you going to want to mix with externally? you have 3 stereo outs on the firebox but you can use the headphone out as the 4th stereo out if you want to mix 4 decks externally on the mixer

if you are just using two decks, on the firebox i like to use outs 3/4 and 5/6 then you don't have to deal with getting the volume of 1/2 the same as 3/4 (since 1/2 has a hardware vol knob)

Tech Wizard

thanks for your help. Now I just gotta see if I can make a good .tsi for my Maschine.

www.thenewtoronto.ca

How are you planning on using the maschine in traktor dude?
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

I'd like to use it as a replacement for the akaimpd24, and to supplement some of the functions i would lose on the faderfox by switching to an external mixer. I've heard that using the page selection on the maschine, the rotary knobs can have dual functions. Is this true? If so Page one would have the knobs controlling pitch, loop length, filter control and FX selection, Page two would control the FX parameters for each deck. I'd use the pads to set loops, jump between cue points, pitch bend/correct phase, jump between cues i've set on the fly. And I want to use the transport section as my cue/cup, and set cue for decks A & B (the restart row will be deck A, and the play row will be deck B). Are there any buttons on the maschine that don't send proper midi CC's? That is my one gripe about the Akai, I have 13 essentially useless buttons and one useless rotary knob.

www.thenewtoronto.ca

Tech Mentor

switch to external mixing in the audio routing. then make sure that you have each deck routed appropriately. dont use an audio output as a headphone or monitor. that is what the mixer is for.