Multiple controller setup options
    Tech Convert

Default Multiple controller setup options

Hey guys just looking for a little bit of input. Just picked up a lot of new gear and thanks to a couple birthday gifts I'm looking for a new way to incorporate all of this into the most practical/creative setup i can.

My setup previous to today was a kontrol s2 (4 deck mapping) + maschine also mapped for 4 decks and knobs mapped to fx (ex. filter knob since the s2 does not have a dedicated filter).

Since then, I recently bought myself a midi fighter pro and received a kontrol x1 and f1 as a bday gift. I feel like with this setup my possibilities are overwhelmingly endless. I'm trying to figure out the most expressive/creative combo I can use with these new toys. Originally I had seen some maschine mappings to control sample decks, or mappings set up like a midi fighter. Now that I have an f1 to control remix decks and the mf pro covers my fx mappings that I had planned on using with maschine. So now, I'm just trying to brainstorm some options on incorporating my s2, x1, f1, mf pro and maschine into one setup that still maintains some practicality.

Does anyone have a similar gear setup? Do I need this much going on at once?

My problem with new toys is that I always want to play with them, regardless of functionality within my current setup, I just want to use them all!

My current thoughts were to leave my mf pro as is, since its out of the box mappings are already awesome, get rid of my 4 deck s2 mapping, and utilize the x1 to gain 4 deck control together with the s2, and build my remix decks with the f1. Where does that leave me with maschine? I've seen some people use it with ableton or maschine's standalone software for some live performance stuff in sets.

Not that I'm complaining about new stuff, but I feel like I just added too much at once to my current setup and I am just looking for some feedback/opinions on the most effective way to be able to incorporate all of them into my sets and maximize my creative options while playing

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KNTRLFRK View Post
    My current thoughts were to leave my mf pro as is, since its out of the box mappings are already awesome, get rid of my 4 deck s2 mapping, and utilize the x1 to gain 4 deck control together with the s2, and build my remix decks with the f1. Where does that leave me with maschine? I've seen some people use it with ableton or maschine's standalone software for some live performance stuff in sets.

Not that I'm complaining about new stuff, but I feel like I just added too much at once to my current setup and I am just looking for some feedback/opinions on the most effective way to be able to incorporate all of them into my sets and maximize my creative options while playing

Thanks!
    I think you've got a gear overload going on.

The best way to maximize your gear is to fit it to your workflow. If you're coming from a S2 4-deck mapping, things will change when you incorporate any one, let alone, 4 controllers. Your gear should be laid out (physically and mapped) to where you will know exactly what button/knob/fader does with out looking at the screen and minimally at the piece itself.

I personally got caught up in the RGAS and had to set the Maschine (a beast of its own) to the side. I want to play with it, but it would be more destructive to my flow and mixes then anything. If I had to suggest anything to you, I'd say do the stock S2 mapping and introduce the X1 and F1. This way you can get your 4 decks back and get used to it in a new layout. Make your adjustments to lock it in your workflow. Rinse and repeat.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Mentor

I tend to agree with DarioJ. Personally, I like the X1 as an effects controller when running everything, however, I run an S4/X1/F1. I think the thing to realize here is that you now have enough kit to do it several different ways, not just plugging it all in at once. For instance, the X1+F1 are a really sweet micro kit to carry to a friend's for cocktails. As is the X1 by itself. Honestly, the X1 just does so many things really well. Furthermore, you are now in remix deck-land. That alone has the potential to change workflow significantly.