Dump Traktor n go straight to Pioneer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't play out and have no intention of doing so, with that in mind I don't really want CDJ's as I don't see the point in paying the price that they are to essentially use them as (bulky and limited) midi controllers. The only time I ever regret not owning CDJ's is when i rock up to a party unplanned and don't have anything to play on should the opportunity present itself.

IF I had intentions of playing out professionally or was doing so I would own rekordbox compatible players, use usb sticks and scrap traktor. Reason being, this is the most effortless way to rock up to gigs and be able to perform without mucking about with gear - while still having a decent form of beatgridding/waveforms. This also eliminates any laptop hardware failure or scratched disc/optical/mechanical problems. Considering the $ turnover a bar can easily do any venue that can't afford to invest in some recent players probably doesn't warrant a live act anyway.

I would most likely stick with an A&H mixer however due to my preference of butter smooth harmonic mixing over a galaxy of effects.
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

I have done that. It has a better feeling but after a while I felt stupid having 2500€ gear in my bedroom as I can do it all with controllers for much less money.

This is what I'm currently doing (and why I'm still month to month broke!)

I was a straighforwards CD DJ but then upgraded to Traktor and started with a Numark Omni + LE, then went up to Pro2 which was exceptionally good. Based on that (and the limitations of the Numark for 4 decks) I got an S4 which I mostly enjoyed and used every weekend DJing. I was very excited about the F1 as it enabled me to do things I'd always envisaged for years (always wanted to incorporate a sampler somehow into my setup and this seemed a fabulous innovative way to fire off whole banks all synced together).

Having had it for a few weeks though for me it didn't sit right (and was also having issues with my laptop out live when using it), and I ended up going for the RMX 1000 just as it was stand alone, though three times the price. That was fabulous quality so I started to migrate towards Pioneer just as my S4 was already starting to missfire on some of the buttons :/ . I got the AERO as knew friends who had the 350 setup and loved it, but again playing out it wasn't bomb proof for me (had some issues with my iphone and dropping into emergency loop one night), but did love the sound quality and the mixer especially, so decided to bight the bullet and trade it in towards a CDJ 2000 as one of the clubs I play just got a pair. So at the mo, I'm practicing beat matching with my cdj and my iphone running the rekorbox app, and it's a struggle but tbh am loving the challenge.

I've got everything in Rekorbox now, but also decided to put my chart/pop residency music onto cds and use the (other club I play) cdj1000's and their beat up DJM 700 and throw myself into DJing 5 hours all manually beat matched

I'm loving the move, it's def taking me out of all comfort zones, but think this will be a best approach so I can go to lots of other clubs and play on their various setups.

Planning to get a djm 700 next and then a cdj1000mk3 (so I can set que points on there for the residency on sd cards).

Then if I continue to do well and make money, hopefully get a pair of Nexus cdjs.

Loving the challenge, just wish I could afford food
    Last edited by Jane; 11-02-2012 at 05:44 AM.
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

Thank you all for your replies! After thinking about it, & reading the responses I think I am going to go ahead and put up my Traktor S4 for sale, along with my Maschine.

Thank you all for your responses!

I'm currently in a similar situation. Most clubs in my area have CDJ-2000s and a small booth that doesn't fit an S4 well so I have found a compromise that works well for me: I just use the CDJ-2000 with 2 usb cables as midi controllers with a custom mapping to control traktor. Its been working out for me, its easy to switch between cd mode and midi mode, and its a lot less gear to carry to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTower View Post
    I'm currently in a similar situation. Most clubs in my area have CDJ-2000s and a small booth that doesn't fit an S4 well so I have found a compromise that works well for me: I just use the CDJ-2000 with 2 usb cables as midi controllers with a custom mapping to control traktor. Its been working out for me, its easy to switch between cd mode and midi mode, and its a lot less gear to carry to the club.
    Why not HID?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12