I know what I want to do, please help me find the right equipment.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default I know what I want to do, please help me find the right equipment.

Hi everyone, I have always been very interested in music, and controlerism seems like something I'd really like to get into. I have no DJ experience, this would be purely for my own satisfaction, as a long term hobby, not to make money.

Things I would like to be able to do:

1. Chop up songs and play "live" and record it simultaniously, add effects, and be able to just 'go sick' sometimes

2. Play drums/keys etc on buttons and record to make simple(ish) tracks

3. Mix two tracks together in a creative way, with a different track through headphones.

Now my question is, what should I actually buy to get started? My budget for my first purchase is about £150 ($200).

I am more keen to get into number one and two of my 'needs', though if I can get something that does all three then that's better. I have seen the Novation Twitch, this looks good but I really can't justify spending that much. If I need to get two things thats fine, thought I want the controller part first (£150 max for first purchase). I'd quite like knobs and buttons (I think) not totally sure... If someone can highlight the differences between any mentioned products that would really help.

So any help really appreciated, I only started looking into this about a week ago, I have high end active monitors, good headphones and an i7 Macbook Pro already, which software I use doesn't bother me too much. I live in London and would rather buy in the UK if possible, depending on the options available.

Thanks all, please use basic language I don't know many technical terms when it comes to this!

Paul

Tech Guru

My advice is the same to everyone just starting out and looking to buy equipment. Try out a software first using just your keyboard to mix (you can get free demos). You'll find out first if this is the hobby for you, and then you will learn what equipment REALLY fits your style of mixing. That way there is no money being waisted, and you'll end up w/ equipment that you like.

Tech Convert

I'm sure you're right, I just thought that if I find the right controller I would just use whatever sw it works with.

I don't know where to start on software really, can anyone recommend anything good to start on with good potential for growth on Mac?

So many options...

Thanks

Tech Guru

VDJ and Traktor have free demos and both you can mix w/ just a keyboard. You'll be surprised how much you can do w/ just a keyboard

Tech Mentor

You can definitely pick up a used twitch that much.

That being said, my friend has a Twitch (I use a VCI-300), and I've never been able to get the feel for the slicer. But the twitch does sound like a pretty decent option for you. However, I think a traktor-based setup might be for you, since they have modular access to the remix decks if you want to add pieces one at a time. Maybe start with Traktor and an X1, then add another X1 and maybe a few F1's.

to be honest i would go with the notivation Launchpad, you can map to traktor vdj, and mainly used for ableton.

For 1 & 2 I would probably be an ableton dj

Tech Convert

Yes I have been looking at the Launchpad, would be nice to have knobs... but it does look like a good option for 1&2.

Tech Convert

I have downloaded Traktor & Live and am leaning towards live from my research I think. Any opinions on the QuNeo vs the Launchpad??

I think it is, I used to make music on computer many many years ago, though the process back then wa extremely slow, with only a keyboard (typing), and I have tried some djing sw before.

I have dabled, but I feel I have pinned down what I want to do a bit more (in my head)

Nice machine paul,
    Just start with this equipment and and look forward for new one.

Tech Convert

If I went with the launchpad, what would be a good option to add knobs and faders? Something that would work with Ableton Live well?

Are there any decent options for a device with Knobs, faders, and lots of pads all in one? And headphone output.

Have looked at the Akai range but I think the pads are a bit on the small side...

Midi fighter looks good but no headphone out and it's not really coplete for DJing.

How does the midi fighter stack up against the Launchpad for what I want?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast