New laptop for TP2 and Maschine
    Tech Convert

Default New laptop for TP2 and Maschine

Hi DJTechtools!

After lurking here for quite a while, I decided to make an account, as my old DJ forum shut down. I'm a bedroom DJ who occasionally plays out at locals bars, but is starting to get some bigger gigs as well.

I'm currently running TP2 with a Xone:K2 and a DB2 on a Dell XPS16 (almost 4 years old). The laptop is completely clean, apart from my music and Traktor. It has a 1366x768 resolution, which isn't ideal and has a Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P8600 (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB), 4GB RAM.

Since a friend of mine is getting Ableton push, I can buy his Maschine. I wanna run it alongside TP2 on one laptop. Only problem is, I can't decide what to get, or if I should get a new laptop at all.

If I get a new laptop it is going to be dedicated to just Traktor and Maschine, if my old laptop will be able to run both softwares, I'm not going to blast away alot of money for a new laptop. On the other hand, I do want a better screen resolution, and according to my personal rule of thumb, a new laptop every 4 years is about right.

Can I justify buying a 1000eu+ MBP or any other expensive laptop for that matter, should I stick with this one, or is there any compromise somewhere in the middle? Getting a so-so laptop to run TP and Maschine on separate laptops isn't much of an option for me, that's gonna be to much gear hauling around.

Eagerly awaiting your advice

I say if you're feeling it then go ahead and grab a new one you know will be able to handle everything fine. And keep your old on as a back up in case anything happens.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Convert

Alright. Any tips as to what would be good specs for a laptop to run both Traktor and Maschine at the same time?

Stan - Traktor and Maschine aren't that rough on computers, even at the same time. I would definitely go for the maximum amount of RAM, though, especially in the case of the mRBP and other computers from Apple which aren't easily upgraded by the end user.

Pretty much any new computer these days should be able to run both Traktor and Maschine with no problems.

I have about the same specs and run traktor pro 2, maschine and ableton on it. Mostly either traktor 2 and maschine or ableton and maschine together. I have no problems with it at all.

When I'm on ableton I hook it up to a 22" full hd monitor for better view. For djing I don't need a bigger resolution.

Was tempted to get a new laptop, but as long as it works smoothly I don't wanna part from it really.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9