Turntable Set up questions......

Default Turntable Set up questions......

Im really getting into using my turntables now, love using the vinyl so much more fun than using cdj's. Anyway now that im using them more and more i have a few questions to ask the dj's out there who know there shizzle when it comes to turn tables..

I was just wondering if its best to have your tone arms set up Low or High? My Vestax PDX-2000 have the anti skate arms so the only other adjustment i have is the height. i think the range is 0-9mm. I've used them since i got them set to where they was which was right at the bottom, i tried them lifted up today and they seemed more less likely to jump if you know what i mean lol, i dont know if that's just in my head tho or not...Also what does everyone set the weight too on the tone arm?

Is there much difference between using the standard headshell with some ortofon pro s stylus or the ortofon concord's ?

Are the MK2 traktor vinyls any better than the ones i have that came with traktor scratch when i bought it? i ask as when i turn the volume right down you can hear the timecode tone thru the needle quite loud, is that right/normal?

Are standard slip mats ok just sometimes i feel its hard work to get the record back to where i want i, some vinyls come back easier than others, is it worth buying new slip mats if all im doing is mixing deep house mostly?

Also i'd like to buy some target lights for my decks but cant find any any where for the Vestax PDX-2000's. The Vestax ones was called the DSL-1 but be buggered if i can locate any...
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

The height is generally right as standard, but officially the arm should sit parrallel horizontally to the vinyl. My 2300's are set about 2mm up from the bottom.

Not much difference using concords but they NEVER skip, so i stick with them.

I run mk1 vinyl but am considering getting mk2's, although ive never had an issue with mk1 so not in a hurry to upgrade. The high pitched beep from the needle is normal but can get really annoying if you're playing quietly. Simple fix? TURN IT UP!!

Slipmats I recommend butterugs, they are just great to work with for scratching and most things in general but you can get away with standard mats.

Not sure about target lights. The leds have worn out on mine so they are very dim. Ive seen someone make their own using some metal rca connections and ultrabright leds, but again no real need for them personally.

Tech Guru

Definitely check these 3 videos for calibrating your turntable I recommend these will help you in the future as well cause the turntables at the clubs might be all fucked up better off you learning and knowing how to do it yourself

For needles I personally use the Shure Whitelabels because they dont wear my records as much as other needles do (and I have a good amount of limited pressed vinyl and promo stuff so I want to keep it as new as possible) they also give a high output signal for timecode. Plus the replacement carts are reasonably priced.

For slipmats if your just mixing and your not scratching (same as what I do) I personally use the Dr. Suzuki Slipmats Mix Edition.

Another thing I recommend is the Freefloat Deck Turntable Stabilizers (you can get them at juno.co.uk) always better to have something eating the vibrations between the turntable and the booth/table
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

They are really good videos, the guy explains really well. Has to be the best anti-skate explanation ive seen.
    Great find.
    TSP2.6 - Windows 7 64bit Core 2 Duo 2.26ghz & 4gb - Korg Zero4 - 2x Vestax PDX2300 mk2pro - Launchpad

i watched the anti-skate one the other day yes, made it sound so simple the way he explained it, my decks dont have that feature tho as they have the straight anti-skate tone arms on. I actually tried what he did on the video i got a one sided vinyl and put my needle down on it and it didnt budge at all. will watch the others now and learn something new
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

great videos, i feel like i understand a whole lot more now about my turntables, i will will be getting them checked over tomorrow and i'll make sure mine are set up as he said in them vids.. nice one lol

anyone else have any input regarding slipmats, needles etc..im good on how to have my tt set up now, i got the weight for my stylus' off the internet and now have that set correctly. Looking at the NI butter rugs, anyone have them? used them? are they any good? also seen some stanton diablo concorde style cartridge with stylus for £49, again anyone heard of them? used them?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
    anyone else have any input regarding slipmats, needles etc..im good on how to have my tt set up now, i got the weight for my stylus' off the internet and now have that set correctly. Looking at the NI butter rugs, anyone have them? used them? are they any good? also seen some stanton diablo concorde style cartridge with stylus for £49, again anyone heard of them? used them?

think you missed my little message below the videos here it is again:

For needles I personally use the Shure Whitelabels because they dont wear my records as much as other needles do (and I have a good amount of limited pressed vinyl and promo stuff so I want to keep it as new as possible) they also give a high output signal for timecode. Plus the replacement carts are reasonably priced.

For slipmats if your just mixing and your not scratching (same as what I do) I personally use the Dr. Suzuki Slipmats Mix Edition.

Another thing I recommend is the Freefloat Deck Turntable Stabilizers (you can get them at juno.co.uk) always better to have something eating the vibrations between the turntable and the booth/table
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

haha, thanks dude, yeah i didnt miss it, i just wondered if anyone else could share their preferences too thats all. Those shure whitelabels look crazy very good write ups on the net. They cost as much as i paid for my turntables haha...