Jason J - Un Named (30min Ableton mix)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jason J - Un Named (30min Ableton mix)

This is my first recording using Ableton. I have been working/Learning the software for a bit now.

I hope you enjoy!

Stereoshift
    Jason J - Un-Named Downlaod

1 - Noisia_Gutterpump
    2 - Nick Fiorucci_Need Your Love feat JaQe_DekoZe Remix
    3 - Kaskade_Deadmau5_Move For Me_Extended Mix
    4 - Kaskade_Deadmau5_Move For Me_Santiago Bushido Mix
    5 - Ben Westbeech_Dance With Me_Switch Remix
    6 - Suriv_Too Late_Ryan Murgatroyd Mix
    7 - Hatiras_MC Flipside_Tribute_Extended Vocal Mix
    8 - Snap_Rhythm Is A Dancer_Novy vs Snap
    9 - Suriv_Epic Flow_Rudders Time Of The Month Remix
    10 - Suriv_Epic Flow_Keiran Brindley Calvertron Remix

Skydrive
    Jason J - Un-Named Downlaod

Tech Mentor

Downloading now.

Can you describe your Ableton setup? I haven't heard the mix yet, but do you take the time to cut up the track into different bits or do you just import the songs into Ableton and warp them accordingly and leave it at that?

Just asking because I'd love to get into Ableton DJ'ing, but at the same time I wonder how much preparation you have to do beforehand (on top of warping tracks) to pull off a set.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    Just asking because I'd love to get into Ableton DJ'ing, but at the same time I wonder how much preparation you have to do beforehand (on top of warping tracks) to pull off a set.
    I'm not the original author, but I am an Ableton user so maybe I can chime in.

It seems like everyone is different in this regard. You do need to at least warp the tracks (which can be very time consuming for some songs and genres of music), but some people opt to decompose songs into many loops, and others don't.

For me, pop music tracks with numerous quotable parts get split into up to 12 clips, some loops, some just drop points, and others one shots. For techno and house, I just leave it as one warped clip since there's so much build up time to play with.

Really it depends on what I am planning to do. I have been floating around many different sites that have information on Ableton and Controllerism.
    Figuring out the smart mixing, VST Plug-ins, Different Ableton Set-Ups etc...

As for the above question in this project I loaded up the tracks that I wanted to use. Previously I had warped them (This is essential).

I set up Two channels (deck a and deck b) just as I would for two turntables.

Using the arrangement view I begun to edit each track to suit what I wanted to do. Yes I did cut most them up in order to shorten the songs up and take out parts I thought just made the track to long and repetitive for the purposes of this mix. I wanted to keep a higher energy.

Thank you for downloading the mix. I hope you enjoy it.

I am still learning how to take advantage of the software to its full potential. I am super stoked on it all though.

As for when I have used it in a Live setting I have just made sure my tracks were loaded up and warped. Then on the fly I begun to set up loops and edit the tracks.
    My template with that one was the Belvario Smart Mixer I obtained from http://www.controllerism.com
    Of course I edited the template with some of my own effects and other controls. I usually use a VCI-100 and a Trigger Finger to control the software.

I started learning and using the software after I had gone to a Bassnectar show here in Kelowna BC. The show consisted of a local Antipop (who works along side Lorin on some remix's), The Phatconductor from Toronto, and Lorin, where all three were set up and used a Trigger Finger and Ableton all night. The rocked the house as usual.
    Myself being a dj as well was struck on the control that was possible and have long since turned my tables in for the Software and Controllers.
    I plan to never look back aside from perhaps getting myself a Pioneer djm700 and two Pioneer cdj400 to add the traditional dj set up.

I tried out ableton for the first time yesterday. Not gonna lie...but you can do ALOT with this software.

to jason - My critique
    Love that you threw Rhythm is a Dance in there (i love that remix). I dont like that ya slowed it down that much. I didnt feel the energy getting built with it when it sped up. I would have done something like having a double time hand clap in the background and then breaking with a high pass filter/reverb let it fade out for 3 seconds then throw in the next song. The song that follows i think is a little two funky for mixing out of Rhythm is a dancer. Overall i think its a pretty decent set, beside my personal critiques.
    just my two cents
    if you do another one let me know
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

I love that I found that remix, I think it is super sweet. Yet I would say that with most the tracks stored on my drive.

The tempo bit with it I was trying to make a build in tension as I did throughout the whole mix.
    Whenever I dropped the tempo I used the automation to slowly build it back up to the cue when i wanted it to come back in hard or jump'n! As for the hand clap... I did not through and production in this mix, thats what I am working towards. This mix was no more then a re-arrangment/dj mix.
    I am going to try that suggestion though in future works

cheers
    and I look foward to hearing your works.... the super mix done??

bout to download the the mix.

I use ableton with deck a and deck b. I only use session view for studio mixes and also for parties. I hate arrangement view but thats me tho lol.

I use a xsession pro. on each deck I have a super lupa, ping pong delay and also a low pass filter. and also beat repeat.

thats pretty much it.

I don't chop my songs up I just bring em in and just warp em.

But once I get my new controller I will start using loops cause I will be able to use more channels.

Quote Originally Posted by djxsquizet View Post
    bout to download the the mix.

I use ableton with deck a and deck b. I only use session view for studio mixes and also for parties. I hate arrangement view but that's me tho lol.

I use a xsession pro. on each deck I have a super lupa, ping pong delay and also a low pass filter. and also beat repeat.

thats pretty much it.

I don't chop my songs up I just bring em in and just warp em.

But once I get my new controller I will start using loops cause I will be able to use more channels.
    I hope you enjoy the mix and I look forward to hearing what you say!

You dont need to may controllers for ableton. You can set up the X-Sessions to do the important shit for volume and x-fader, then use the "key" assign to set up triggers.

I use the Sessions for live, and on occasions set recording, but the arrangement to set up loops, and edit recordings.

by all means that's not how everyone should use the soft. Its what your imagination can conjure

I am still working with the effects and such to find what works with my style and taste, as well set up.
    it sure is a lurning curve!

Cheers and thank you guys for taking the time to listen!

yea....i feel kinda limited with the xsession i know i can chop up the loops already and mess around with em....but imma wait. I still don't know if I am gonna make the move to tracktor yet

I really enjoyed the mix was very cool....some songs didn't seem to fix in there. Also I heard a very noticeable volume jump in the the beginning of the mix but it could have been my computer. But loved the whole mix in general and is going in my keep folder.

This got me wanting to throw a mix up on here now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast