Audio drop outs, asus, win 7, 64 bit, audio2dj/virtual dj/hercules steel
    Tech Student

Default Audio drop outs, asus, win 7, 64 bit, audio2dj/virtual dj/hercules steel

I am a mobile DJ who up until now has been using the setup I mention in the title with a 32 bit windows XP machine (HP Probook).

I recently decided it was time to start gearing up for an upgrade as my computer was purchased in 2009 and had 3 years of mobile DJing under its belt. With 3 years of flawless service I figured it was about time I actually get a new machine and use my HP Probook as a backup.

I purchased an Asus K73SV

ASUS K73SV-DH51 Laptop Computer
    Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz
    4GB DDR3, 750GB HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    Blu-ray Player/DVDRW
    17.3" Display
    Windows 7 Home Premium

The scenario that is happening is well into my show (once at 2.5 hours, once at 3 hours in separate nights) is my audio just suddenly is dropping out, it goes out for 5-7 seconds then comes back on for a few seconds then drops out. I restarted virtual DJ, reconnected my soundcard and when I plug back in the problem is still there. Also note worthy is when the problem is occuring virtual DJ shows no signs of latency, the record keeps on spinning and as far as I recall I dont remember seeing a CPU spike.

The first time this happened something very special happened.... I had prepared a loop from 50 cent - In the Club that was looping "we gonna party like its your birthday", as I stepped away to get a drink I started having sound drop outs. After I started my track there was some other bizarre 4 bar loop going off in the background that I didnt have cued up, in fact I think it was a 4 bar loop from a house music session I played weeks prior!!!

At any rate I am hoping someone here can help me out, I did some google searches and thats what brought me here but all posts I was reading relevant to my questions were from 2011 or so. Sort of hoping for some more current information or tips.

I hate the fact I am going to have to bring this laptop out and warn my crowd I may have issues a little later, but its one of the joys of trying to trouble shoot a problem that doesnt happen until several hours after I am working.

Also note worthy, this laptop just sucks in general.. my tracks load slow virtual dj is less responsive.. its just uncomfortable in general to use. I dont recommend this laptop to anyone.

oh. I have ran the latency checker, virtual dj 7.02, and whatever driver came on the cd for audio2dj

http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...dio+Processing

Follow these tips, although i don't have any answers regarding your loop thing. but windows 7 is finnicky with NI stuff ... also it helped me to use the older drivers for the audio2dj.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...dio+Processing

Follow these tips, although i don't have any answers regarding your loop thing. but windows 7 is finnicky with NI stuff ... also it helped me to use the older drivers for the audio2dj.
    Thanks for the link, I believe I saw you post it in one of the links I found searching.

Do you disable your onboard sound? I read someone mentioned that, but I dont see it mentioned in that link.

I see the nvidia graphics mentioned in there, maybe that could be a cause.

The worst part of this is that I cant replicate the problem, so even if I go through all these fixes I have to lug it back out and perform with it and risk embarrassment again and again. So far it has had issues at 2 out of 4 gigs, so its history isnt that good!!

I wish I could pin point it to the laptop so I can nail asus to the wall with hate mail lol.

i haven't turned off my onboard soundcard ... just downloaded the older drivers disabled windows aero, disabled my wifi and truned off the battery checker ... no audio problems for me

look into the nvidia thing as well ... i don't have an nvidia card but a lot of people are saying disabling a feature of nvidia helped cure a lot of the lag spikes.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Student

WAVFORMo.jpg

So, I figured out the problem with my audio drop out.

This solves one issue, but that mystery loop that appeared still leads me to believe I have a deeper rooted issue. I will still follow through with the audio tweaks in that link as my tracks load slowly in VDJ and the program gets non responsive during my gigs... frequently with the new laptop.

With all new laptops i recommend a wipe and clean install of os and not a restore cd a clean install. Secondly tracks loading slow maybe a hard drive issue are you using a external or are tracks loaded on system. If on external try a non usb3 port if external is not a USB3. If on hard drive run a scandisk it's not uncommon to have a faulty drive on a new system happens more then you think. Also very important systems that have a manufacture defect usually show within the first few months of use. Also maybe your vdj install try probing them on any known issues with hardware in your system.

I have close to 50 asus laptops deployed and have only had 1 fail within the first week. But I also reload every single one and most times they have a ssd installed before deployment.