Mobile DJ Gig advice needed!
    Tech Convert

Default Mobile DJ Gig advice needed!

Let me preface this by saying that I have been playing clubs and college parties for the last two years... but by no means am I an "expert" in mixing. I can craft and keep a dance floor but my audience has usually been drunk college kids.

This weekend I have my first large scale (1500-2000) mobile dj event with ages ranging from 22 all the way up to late 60's. The request list they have filled out includes a large variety of songs spanning multiple decades/styles/bpms.

What is the community's thoughts on how to craft the night?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Rotate the dancefloor.... basically start chilled, then pick up the pace, get some of the younger people dancing (say with some RnB) then start changing through the genres and years, slowly picking up the pace.

The important thing is that you give every group the chance to dance, no matter what their age, and end the night on a song which everybody knows and loves (Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer is a favorite of mine).

Also, what's the event? A wedding or something?
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Tech Convert

Thanks for the advice first off! I really like the idea of living the night on a song that everyone knows, I have always had difficulty ending sets and a song like that could definitely (and more than likely will) make it into the preparation list.

The event is a convention/ball for a regional nurses convention so this is partially why I am struggling with the design of the night as there will not be as many guys there as I am accustomed to/the change in demographics. No offense intended to any male nurses out there.
    Thankfully there will not be as much mic work/introductions as would be required in a wedding and from my understanding they will be eating dinner in a separate ballroom from the dance floor so I will not need to cover much more than 3 hours or so.

Tech Mentor

Ehm... Do you mean by "mobile" gig that you are providing the sound/lighting? That's a fairly large gig that requires at least a decent trailer's worth of equipment. If you're just DJ'ing, it's not really a "mobile" gig.

Otherwise, with 2,000 people you have very little to worry about. Choose a good selection of music and do simple transitions. With that many people, there's a good chunk bound to be dancing and paying attention to you. Keep it mainstream is about all the advice you need.

Are you MC'ing? Announcing events? That is really where the difference is made with these types of events.

Tech Guru

As Jez has alluded to you will need to please everyone at some point through the night but not everyone all the time. Keep those genres changing and don't get locked playing one style for too long. As long as you stick to classics from all ages you'll be fine.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Convert

sss: I will be providing sound lighting etc. Before I arrive with the set up crew, there ball room is completely bare except for a dance floor the hotel/convention center staff lay down. I think you have a good point with the mc-ing. Again, most of my work experience has been with college parties, be it multi-fraternity tail-gates, fraternity sponsored parties, school sponsored events, and on the local club scene. Basically, my mic work is not up to the same level as my mixing. Any suggestions on the "Dos and Don'ts" of working a mic?
    D-Kem: I like your point about not having to please everyone all of the time. I guess with only 3 to 4 hours of spin time i should be able to find enough classics to keep them intrigued?