Macbook Pro burnt out, just picked up a Mac mini - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

with my current mbp (my first one) i really used my applecare:
    - fixed expresscard slot
    - replaced logic board
    - replaced logic board and screen (well that one was probably caused by an idiot technician when i got them to swap my harddrive)

i will have them check it out next friday again because the "Y" key is dieing and because the machine gets upto 6000rpm on the fan way too often.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Quote Originally Posted by EYENSEE View Post
    sounds like something i had to go thru with my MBP too!

check this out: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10063844-37.html

this is what was going on with my computer and by the looks of it..it might be the same thing you're experiencing. MBPs that were built late 2007 - early 2008 were installed with a faulty videocard which affects the logicboard or something like that. For it to be replaced and serviced it wouldve cost like 500-600 bucks

but this is what I did to get it fixed........for FREE.

I called apple support... they have customer service representatives that trouble shoot mac problems with you on the phone. they ask for your serial number (located under the battery) etc etc.

I got a little aggressive on the phone, yet respectful...

basically my tone was... "..hey apple, I just dropped a couple grand on one of your computers, now how does one of your top of the line flagship laptops die in under a year!? ..what can you do for me..."

I sent them a link to a page in an apple support forum that addressed this known bug, im sure if you send the link above you'll get the same results...

they told me to take it to the place I bought it at and the service center will take a look at it.....if the problem matches the known bug... the service center will do the paperwork to clarify with apple and they will replace the part and service your machine....free of charge.

I was soo choked when my MBP died on me... after all that, I'm now a happy camper..

hope things work out for you
    Don't think anything you mentioned here in your email got you anywhere special or any special treatment, surely the fact that you had the laptyop under a year and hardware broke was good enough to get it fixed for free? Or do you not get a standard 12months warranty with a mac?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Mentor

Fix it yourself?

EDIT:

How much is the apple care plan and for how long does it last?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    Don't think anything you mentioned here in your email got you anywhere special or any special treatment, surely the fact that you had the laptyop under a year and hardware broke was good enough to get it fixed for free? Or do you not get a standard 12months warranty with a mac?

When I had placed the call, I was going in thinking that my apple care would take care of it. It turned out that I was about a month and a bit passed the one year mark. I was frustrated that my mac had died, that I had miscalculated when I bought it. (I had purchased the 1 year apple care as opposed to the 3 year) When he told me that i was soo sad...and burnt.. LOL.

s'all good tho, it worked out in the end.

Tech Guru

Last night I was just chillin and decided I was gonna give the ol MBP one last shot. I threw in the reinstall disk from my Mac Mini and actually managed to get it to boot from the CD (It kernel panicked last week everytime I tried that) Without hesitation I just erased the HD and with hope installed a new copy of Leopard. And now it's working. I'm afraid to say it's possible that my previous install may have had a virus?? Very unlikely but the way it was acting that's really the only explanation.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Well i hope it works out for you mate.
    Test the damn thing for as long as you can.
    Doesnt sound like the logic board. What a relief. I feel relieved for you mate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12