Macbook Pro burnt out, just picked up a Mac mini
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Macbook Pro burnt out, just picked up a Mac mini

Hey everyone, my MBP of 2 years just recently crashed, I was heart broken. I tried everything possible ran all the repair and hardware tests and got no where and came to the conclusion that it's the logic board. After looking into how much a potential logic board replacement would cost I just figured I'd pick up a Mac mini in the mean time. For 800 not to bad, biggest disappointment is the standard ram of 1 GB. The most convenient feature is the 5 usb ports. I figure in the future when I have some more money I'll buy a replacement logic board and fix my laptop. Anyone ever had any experience with a logic board crash?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yes its happened twice to me and both times (one iBook and one MBP) i bit the bullet and has them repaired.

The iBook was due to beer being spilled in it (my fault) and because my girlfriend actually worked at the Apple Reseller i got the Logic board done on my Apple Care despite it not qualifying.

Second time i wasnt so lucky she had left the company.
    The MBP trackpad started to malfunction. But only for a second or so then it would start working again. This gradually got worse to the point one day that the track pad and keyboard ceased to work . I managed one gig with the mouse and the on screen keyboard but the next day sent it for a look at.
    I had read that the ribbon between the track pad and the logic board easily corrodes on MBP and was hoping that it would just be that but it was the Logic board.

Id used the MBP to gig with for 4 nites a week and surfing at my girls house every nite of the week so you could say that the LOgic board had a life time of just under 2 years.

It cost me £800 to get repaired. This was really bad timing as i was due to go on holiday the day after i sent it for repair and had a HUGE gig the day after i got back so the only thing i could do was get it repaired in time for my return or i may have been tempted to buy a new Macbook but as i was on hols i wouldnt have the time to prepare it.

The Apple repair centre had 3 different Logic boards delivered before they recieved one that worked. This also happened way back with my iBook so the Mac wasnt ready for my week of gigs when i got home so i used my old iBook.
    It seems that Logic Boards are badly designed and do not cope well with 24/7 use like my Macs all have to take.

I understand the reasoning behind buying a new Mac rather than repairing a Logic board but i wasnt prepared to have a great MBP just laying around. If it ever happens again i wont get this machine repaired ill buy again but id still hope to get it fixed cheaply somehow.

Its the same for all Macs , doesnt matter if its a £800 Macbook or a £2000 Macbook Pro. How can Apple justify £800 just for the Logic board ?

I get a nervous twitch and my testicles go back up their tubes when i hear the words LOGIC BOARD. *shiver*

Tech Guru

That's terrible I can't believe that, I looked into just ordering a logic board from ebay and doing it myself but that still will cost about 600 Canadian. How does applecare warranty work? How much is it usually and what's the latest point you can buy it

man i would look for a logic board on ebay and follow the tutorials on www.ifixit.com
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Fooking hell this threads just made me stop wishing for mac. Think i'll stick with my wondows laptop it does the job for me
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Hey everyone, my MBP of 2 years just recently crashed, I was heart broken. I tried everything possible ran all the repair and hardware tests and got no where and came to the conclusion that it's the logic board. After looking into how much a potential logic board replacement would cost I just figured I'd pick up a Mac mini in the mean time. For 800 not to bad, biggest disappointment is the standard ram of 1 GB. The most convenient feature is the 5 usb ports. I figure in the future when I have some more money I'll buy a replacement logic board and fix my laptop. Anyone ever had any experience with a logic board crash?

does your MBP start up and go to a blank/glitched screen and just stalls?

Tech Guru

it goes to the apple logo and shows that loading circle at the bottom and never gets anywhere. I did everything, the computer even crashes now trying to boot from the cd

My logic board died on my last MBP. It's horrific!!!!

I got new MBP on insurance but still. Made me feel well sketchy about using my laptop for gigs now. If i'm just playing for an hour, rather than all night, I tend to just burn some cds cause who gives a toss about loosing some cds.

Actually for convenience, bringing CDs really beats bringing laptop, soundcard and vci and having to have drama plugging in at the back of a mixer in a dark club and balancing all my shit on a turntable with the little nipple pocking through.

I love digital djing but some times there's a lot of drama...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    it goes to the apple logo and shows that loading circle at the bottom and never gets anywhere. I did everything, the computer even crashes now trying to boot from the cd
    sounds like something i had to go thru with my MBP too!

check this out: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10063844-37.html

this is what was going on with my computer and by the looks of it..it might be the same thing you're experiencing. MBPs that were built late 2007 - early 2008 were installed with a faulty videocard which affects the logicboard or something like that. For it to be replaced and serviced it wouldve cost like 500-600 bucks

but this is what I did to get it fixed........for FREE.

I called apple support... they have customer service representatives that trouble shoot mac problems with you on the phone. they ask for your serial number (located under the battery) etc etc.

I got a little aggressive on the phone, yet respectful...

basically my tone was... "..hey apple, I just dropped a couple grand on one of your computers, now how does one of your top of the line flagship laptops die in under a year!? ..what can you do for me..."

I sent them a link to a page in an apple support forum that addressed this known bug, im sure if you send the link above you'll get the same results...

they told me to take it to the place I bought it at and the service center will take a look at it.....if the problem matches the known bug... the service center will do the paperwork to clarify with apple and they will replace the part and service your machine....free of charge.

I was soo choked when my MBP died on me... after all that, I'm now a happy camper..

hope things work out for you

the applecare protection plan is your best friend

i had an imac that had a faulty logic board (it was a 1st gen, the plague of all mac products), and got it repaired free because i had applecare.

no problems with my mbp, though. although i've only had it under a year.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast