Type of Dj? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What type of DJ are you?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bedroom

14 40.00%
  • Mobile(Party DJ)

9 25.71%
  • Club

6 17.14%
  • Mobile and Club

6 17.14%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Type of Dj?

bedroom and mobile

hell, everyone is in some sort a bedroom dj :-D

For everyone who mixes at house parties (how many people) can you tell me how you got your first gig and what type of music you mix at house parties? I would like to mix at house parties but want to mix electro and techno.

Thanks,

Mark
    MacBook Pro 2.33GHZ 2G-Ram
    VCI-100SE (Original Batch 1-100) "March 2008"
    Traktor Pro 1.2.1
    Audio Kontrol 1

I started mixing at house parties because they were at my house. I invited a lot of people over we got drunk and had a blast. Well we did that for a couple of weeks and there were more people coming (friends of friends). People started asking... "hey do you want to DJ one of my house parties?" That's how it happened for me. I play everything dancable and some just amusing stuff. Industrial, house, EBM, D&B, 80's dance and every once in a while some C+C Music Factory... lol

Now one of my old friends from high school came over 2 weeks ago and happens to be a promoter for a dying club. So that will probably be my first gig. yea!

house parties for the win! no stress and everyone has a better time. no assholes either

Depends on the house party. If it's friends & people who know what you do, it's all good. If it's FOR a friend and his friends show up, or for strangers, they'll have no idea what you do, you'll get asked to play crap that's not remotely like what you're playing, they'll give you CDs and tell you to play them, etc. House parties can be really great or indistinguishable from the worst bar gigs.
    Last edited by steveboyett; 07-20-2008 at 06:58 PM.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

club dj!

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

No assholes at house parties?

I've been to house parties.

They are FILLED with assholes. And you don't have a bouncer there to throw people out... heh
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

i played my first gig in a club last night...
    and have played a few parties

Quote Originally Posted by M.Hugh View Post
    For everyone who mixes at house parties (how many people) can you tell me how you got your first gig and what type of music you mix at house parties? I would like to mix at house parties but want to mix electro and techno.

Thanks,

Mark
    Basically just house parties here for starters, then at some mates places where they all dig what i dig (trance) did a few hours warmup at a friend of a friends before we rocked up to armin
    These were small parties of 10 - 15 people.

I did a canadian student sharehouse a while back with maybe up to 30 people, i mixed trance for an hour or so and then an rnb request popped up. The only people dancing at that party was my housemates and the other people that live in my complex that were invited. I won't be mixing for them again because they like pop/rnb which i just plain don't like. If i had a bunch of it and practiced mixing techniques for it that would be fine but i have enough trouble keeping track of my trance tracks.

I've done a few small sessions for less than 5 people aswell.

I have a sort of gig coming up, a good mate is booking a club floor for his birthday, not sure yet but 30 - 70 people with two professional club djs also doing sets. I look forward to the experience and i'm not too nervous because its not like a club gig, more like a house party in a club

from there... who knows?

P.S. drunk fat canadian chicks should have brought their own speakers and an ipod dock. That's just not what i do.
    Last edited by Wuz; 07-21-2008 at 03:01 AM. Reason: to take the piss out of people that don't understand mixing

a brand new club Dj

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast