My first gig.

Thread: My first gig.

Tech Student

Default My first gig.

I got booked as an DJ on a party for around 200 students, and this will be my first gig and i'm planing to play some newish house/electro.
    So i wonder if there is anyone that have any DONT DO tips or generally good tips for me?

//sleepz2k

Search posts first.

Apart from that:

Enjoy it
    Have an idea on a sort of set planned
    Make sure you have cd's for a back up
    prepare a few 20min mixes so you can go for a piss
    Enjoy it
    Listen to what the people want to play, you can't just play what you want
    Don't ride the fader
    Enjoy it
    Record your set

and Enjoy

Tech Mentor

We need some more info, 200 students where and what age group? You must play for them or else your dance floor will be crickets. You can be playing the most banging club banger ever known to man but if the crowd wants One Direction you will be known as the sucky DJ that played some "techno we never heard of" Don't be THAT guy.... Play what the crowd wants.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    We need some more info, 200 students where and what age group? You must play for them or else your dance floor will be crickets. You can be playing the most banging club banger ever known to man but if the crowd wants One Direction you will be known as the sucky DJ that played some "techno we never heard of" Don't be THAT guy.... Play what the crowd wants.
    Okey, so the the age of the crowd will be between 18-20. and well, most of the people that are there have been going to the nightclubs here, and i've noticed that everybody freaks out when they are playing something like Antidote by Swedish House Mafia and such clubbanger, and when some 2005-2009ish music that was popular then gets played, there is no big crowd out dancing and freaking out, if you know what i mean.

So, you've got to build them up. Start with the generic 05-09ish music, then make it dancier, then right at the end of you set drop a few bangers like Antidote. Crowd goes wild, girls want you and you get re-booked. Easy!
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Quote Originally Posted by sleepz2k View Post
    and when some 2005-2009ish music that was popular then gets played, there is no big crowd out dancing and freaking out, if you know what i mean.
    Ahh yes... the old skool days... 2009.

"What we're gonna do right here is go back"
    "Way back"
    "Back into time"

Stick to Swedish House Mafia clubbangers mate
    And Rhianna/anything with Calvin Harris
    SC | MC