Traktor Setup for Remix Set development
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Traktor Setup for Remix Set development

Hey everyone,

I am considering investing in my own decks and controllers for the purpose, or at least under the pretense of producing remix sets for myself and others.

In case it isn't clear, I would be producing tracks from scratch but to be performed and released exclusively in the remix set format. Most or all would be intended to be used with timecode / scratching.

Here is what I am choosing between:
    2x Technics 1200, Kontrol Z2, and 2x Kontrol F1 or
    2x Technics 1200, Xone DB2, 2x Kontrol F1, and Kontrol X1

Do you think that this Traktor setup would serve this purpose?
    Does anyone think that 2 decks is too limiting.

(I already have an APC, a Maschine and a Maschine mkii)

If you get the Z2, there is really no need for any of the Kontrollers mentioned as you can control the other two decks with your turntables or simply with the volume knobs provided.

I like the option of 2 legit decks and 2 internal decks, ill be practicing heavily with the loop samples I have over tracks or vocals so expand a track.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayJade View Post
    If you get the Z2, there is really no need for any of the Kontrollers mentioned as you can control the other two decks with your turntables or simply with the volume knobs provided.
    I'm incredulous. I thought that even the Z2 doesn't control remix decks fully, the way the F1 does.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayJade View Post
    I like the option of 2 legit decks and 2 internal decks, ill be practicing heavily with the loop samples I have over tracks or vocals so expand a track.
    I wonder if this is the use case that will prevail, though.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    I'm incredulous. I thought that even the Z2 doesn't control remix decks fully, the way the F1 does.

I wonder if this is the use case that will prevail, though.
    The F1 does give you a lot more to do especially with the volume faders. Was just saying you need it, like for someone like myself, I dont like having a bunch of controllers around me.

You do not realy get controll over the remix decks with Z2 at least not more then the S4 S2 where you can triger 4 samples.
    The hardware spec do say remix deck because it's not called sampler deck any more. You need a F1 if you want to use the Remix deck for more then 4 sample trigering.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Mentor

DB2 + X1 + 2x F1 gives you definetely more control and the Xone effects. The minus is that you need a external soundcard (Audio 4/6/8/10)
    Definitely better setup in my opinion anyways, but just more pain to set-up.

Tech Mentor

I would think the Z2 to be the best option. It probably uses Traktor proprietary interfacing instead of midi signals, which mean faster more accurate controls, plus you're streamlining your workflow.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Quote Originally Posted by vanaema78 View Post
    DB2 + X1 + 2x F1 gives you definetely more control and the Xone effects. The minus is that you need a external soundcard (Audio 4/6/8/10)
    Definitely better setup in my opinion anyways, but just more pain to set-up.
    Worth the price difference?

You don't need any of the things listed above to make remix sets.
    You just need a copy of Traktor and the DAW of your choice.
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    You don't need any of the things listed above to make remix sets.
    You just need a copy of Traktor and the DAW of your choice.
    You have misunderstood me. While it is possible to make remix sets with just those things, I won't put my name on these unless I have extensively tested them myself. Actually, I think that someone would be appalled if she hired me to produce something for their scratch routine and found out that I had never tried it with scratch control. I don't cut a lot of corners musically.

To give you an idea of the kind of thoroughness I aspire to, check out the Twisted Tools ensembles (http://bit.ly/s-layer). Not only is S-layer fantastic in-and-of-itself, but comes with (mapped) samples, ridiculously great templates for Maschine and other controllers, a custom interface, beautiful documentation, etc. I'm 100% sure that more than just Reaktor was required to release all of that.

I've gone on too long - honestly, I simply reject this premise. It's like saying that all one needs is a camera to open a gallery.
    Last edited by botstein; 11-09-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast