Does using a controller not make you a dj? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

All DVS allows you to do is play media (music files) from your hard drive.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    No. They allow you to to use timecode vinyl on a turntable to control Serato (or whatever other software you choose).

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Ehm... No. The software is what plays music from your hard drive. Your DVS turntables control that software, making your turntables the same as any other controller.

They just use timecode protocol instead of MIDI or HID.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    You're using timecode records to control your computer software internally. DVS makes your turntables nothing more than big, heavy controllers.
    If that's the logic you need to tell yourself that two 1200's is the same as using a Mixtrack Pro go right ahead, but it's not.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    If that's the logic you need to tell yourself that two 1200's is the same as using a Mixtrack Pro go right ahead, but it's not.
    If you need to ignore that [completely correct] logic to make yourself feel better about looking down on talented people that don't use turntables, go right ahead.

Also the quality difference of the gear you mentioned makes it a bit of an unfair comparison, don't you think?
    Last edited by sss18734; 11-11-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Keep it chilled, people. I think the point is that yes, turntables with DVS are in effect controllers in that they control DJ software, they offer much better control and resolution than your average midi controller jog wheel.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    If you need to ignore that [completely correct] logic to make yourself feel better about looking down on talented people that don't use turntables, go right ahead.

Also the quality difference of the gear you mentioned makes it a bit of an unfair comparison, don't you think?
    I'd like you to try playing out with a Mixtrack for a year, and playing out with 1200's or CDJs for a year. Spoilers: the Mixtrack won't last a year, and will start breaking down mid show.

Over the course of the past year, if I had bought cheap shit instead of "ignoring that completely correct logic," and bought CDJs and cases, I wouldn't have functioning equipment right now.

Cheap, consumer shit is and will always be cheap consumer shit. My CDJ's had 2 S4s sitting on their cases last night, both less than a year old, and both borderline nonfunctional. The CDJs? Far more abused, and just as solid as the day they came out of the box.

There's a reason controllers are looked down upon, and it's a bit of a mixture of reliability and barrier to entry.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Keep it chilled, people. I think the point is that yes, turntables with DVS are in effect controllers in that they control DJ software, they offer much better control and resolution than your average midi controller jog wheel.
    FEP,

I think the difference is Laptops replaced having to carry crates of vinyl. Turntables were not intended to control laptops, controllers were. Big difference there.

SSS, I've got nothing against controllers --- shit, I've owned a VCI-100, NS7, S4, VCI-300, DDJ-S1, and an NS6. I've used CDJ's in HID, and when I play on tables I use an X1. So don't jump the gun there pal.

Saying a 1200 is a controller is like saying a CDJ is controller because it controls rekordbox. It's not a controller, it's a CD/media player. Come on guys, because technology now allows us to carry our music in a laptop or USB stick doesn't mean every single piece of equipment is a controller.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I disagree totally with everyone that is saying that TT's with a DVS system are controllers.

I think we've got a misinterpretation of the word "controller" here.

I don't look down on people using controllers - I use 'em myself w/Ableton.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Saying a 1200 is a controller is like saying a CDJ is controller because it controls rekordbox. It's not a controller, it's a CD/media player. Come on guys, because technology now allows us to carry our music in a laptop or USB stick doesn't mean every single piece of equipment is a controller.
    Technically it doesn't control rekordbox, it caches the track from RB and plays it itself

I see what you mean though. My DB4 is in a way a controller because everything happens in a DSP and every control I touch is basically only telling the DSP what to do. The distinction is hazy.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast