The most essential part of Dj'ing?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default The most essential part of Dj'ing?

Would you say beat matching is the most essential part of being a dj?

I'm trying to get improve my sets. Seems like beat matching is what I need to improve on.

Any idea's and help would be appreciated. What else should i learn? Seems like my track selection is good but i don't know where to go from here. My mixes don't sound that great.

Well beatmatching is the core of DJ'ing and you still need to improve upon that, then you have your answer! Beat Matching -> EQ'ing -> TRICKS!

Idk just my two cents anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Well beatmatching is the core of DJ'ing and you still need to improve upon that, then you have your answer! Track Selection -> Beat Matching -> EQ'ing -> TRICKS!

Idk just my two cents anyway.
    Fixed that for you.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Haha, thanks!

Fixed that for you.
    Exactly what I was gonna post! A good song selection and good mixin's are key.

Fixed that for you.
    + 1k
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tune selection.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Track selection, but that's not an answer that's going to help you really. That's an obvious answer, so I guess you were asking about more technical aspects.

To me, the ingredients of an average/good mix are: -

1. Track selection. It's difficult to give advice about this cos it's a matter of preference, but I think unless you're amazing technically, then avoid just banging out mixes of the latest big hits. Too many people are doing that and it's hard to stand out. Do you though, so if all you're into are the latest big tunes, then stick with them.

2. Solid basics. Levels, beat matching, phrase matching and EQing.

And I think it's a good idea to post one of your mixes online so you can get some feedback on if from other DJs. You might be better than you think (or worse, lol), plus experienced DJs will be able to point out your weaker areas.

EDIT - In fact, are these mixes you posted representative of where you're at now?.....

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=59127

I would definitely say you need to focus heavily on beat matching and phrase matching. I had a scan through the first mix and some of it is way off in those areas - the blend that starts at 6:09 for instance which is a total trainwreck. When you try and blend 2 songs, you seem to drop the incoming track in a little too late, often out of phrase, and way out of sync with the track that's currently playing. Sorry to be so blunt, but I gotta be straight up with you or it won't help you. Focus on the core basics - get the 2 tracks in sync first. Make sure you understand the concept of phrase matching so you can apply that, and work on your skills at dropping a track into the mix on time. Once you start to nail that, you'll notice a drastic improvement.
    Last edited by DJSigma; 11-10-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Tech Wizard

A love of all things music and a dedication to supporting creativity.

I'd say track selection is important, but irrelevant to the OP. An ear for music is subjective, and not really a skill so to say. I honestly think it's just something you have or don't right off that bat. Let's be honest... how many of you have sat down in the early stages of your hobby and said "today, I really need to fine tune my selector skills". lol.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast