Mixers: Vestax PMC Pro or Numark X9 ?
    Tech Wizard

Default Mixers: Vestax PMC Pro or Numark X9 ?

Hi there,

My buddy is looking at picking up either a Vestax PMC Pro or Numark X9 mixer.

Would anyone have some advice as to which might be better? Or perhaps there's a similar priced mixer which might be better than either of these?

Thanks for your help

Moved from controller forum -> general forum

Bump - dont have experience with these mixers so perhaps someone else can help

Jack Bastard

Which PMC Pro are you thinking of getting? I've got an old PMC 37 Pro and it's gorgeous, sound quality is better than the equivalent Pio or A&H, build quality is great.

If it's the PMC CX you're thinking of getting I am intensely jealous.

Tech Mentor

Vestax PMC-05 Pro III DX?

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/pmc05proiiidx.php

Definitely beats out any numark mixer. Also check out the aem-100i, supposed to be a wicked little scratch mixer and considered by many to be one of the best starting scratch mixer out there.

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/aem-100i.php

I have an interest in getting the Numark X9 mixer as well. Has anyone on DJTT used this mixer or have any good/bad experiences with the X9. I've heard a lot of bad things about Numark but I wonder now as they have a lot of quality looking products on the market at the moment (NS7 anyone?).

Anyone able share some more info? I cant even find any solid reviews/demos of this mixer which isnt a good sign!

Numark is a hit or miss. Personally I've had both good and bad experiences with their products. For example, in the past I've owned a first gen Axis 9 CD player that had MIDI out and blue lcd backlight. That thing was horrid! It would often overheat and refused to read cds, also the jog wheel's touchpad refused to function. I quickly returned it and after the 4th revision I decided to give it another go. That version was wonderful! Even though it didn't approach the quality of my Pioneer dmp-555, It gave me a few reliable years of service. I also have a friend that's still sporting his old 3ch Numark mixer. Even though it's suppose to have VCA faders, they all bleed, sound scratchy, and cheap. It still works but compared to a old beaten and abused PMC-05II mixer we used to have laying around, it doesn't compare. If the Numark had seen the life of our 05, it wouldn't have lasted more than a day! Plus I had quite a few returns of the Numark 5000fx when i worked at guitar center... As for the AEM-100i, my friend Ryan bought a second gen of that w/ the ProXfade crossfader. I remember it was a wonderful sounding mixer with great analog effects and i really liked it. I did think it was a poorly laid out for dedicated turntablists since it's up faders were far apart and i remember they felt like the long throw Alpha faders, hell i even traded my Empath for it for a week to play with. As for other new mixers, I've been out of DJing for now since i easily get tempted in new toys. But Ecler does ring a bell.

Yes, how about a Ecler Nuo? Great sound, effects send/return, layout, quality, price.... What more could you want?
    Last edited by chex; 07-29-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

I am interested in getting a small mixer for my home setup (2x SL1200mk2 and TSPRO). It's aim is scratching, and i need it to be as cheap as possible. Would some cheap-ass analog mixer with ProXfade upgrade be any good?

Ecler Nuo looks sweet, but thats exactly way off the price range i am actualy looking for. For home use, i don't need the best performance mixer on the market.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Mentor

for home scratching you cant beat a pmc 05 for the price. The stock fader is butters and sharp with the lag spacer. I have that and a nuo 3.0 with the eternal and i enjoy using the pmc more (the eternal is abit to light). But the nuo sounds alot better on a pa system.

I've never used numark but as chex stated its hit or miss with them. I have heard alot of complaints about their products. The vestax on the other hand is a classic no frills SOLID mixer that i would recommened to anyone looking to get into scratching for a reasonable price.

For something that's still good yet less expensive the Denon DN-X120 is a solid choice. When i worked at GC the Dn-x100 was the model then and it quickly became my top choice for budget mixers. all 3 faders on it are identical to the crossfader on the vci-100; alpha faders, and it had a pretty clean sounding eq. i liked the fact it's second set of inputs on the back can be switched from phono/line level, and everything is on a vca circuit. It's also tiny, making it very nice to use in cramped conditions. I only messed with the floor model, but my boss let me take it home for a party where we setup a 2x4 turntable setup. The only thing that i really hated about it was the price of the power supply. I had a customer that needed a second one and it ended up costing over $80. All that aside you should put that on your short list on what to buy.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.