Beginner PA system setup
    Tech Mentor

Default Beginner PA system setup

I'm looking into a getting a PA system of sorts, and I was wondering what would be a good beginner setup? I've heard about powered speakers, and some that would require an amp to power. I understand the difference, but not so much the cost, or the set up of either or. I'm not djing big gigs or anything, just sorta want a set to do family house parties and what not. My setup consists of a S2 and a MBP, if that helps at all. Thanks in advanced for any help!

Tech Mentor

First of all... what is your budget?

In most cases, active (also known as powered) speakers are typically less expensive, more portable and easier to set up. Also, the internal amps are matched to the drivers, so the sound is usually pretty smooth. However, this depends on the speaker... and you will have much better results from a $800 cabinet than a $300 one.

That being said, you are better off buying smaller amounts of quality gear than a lot of cheap gear. Without knowing your initial budget though, it is difficult to make specific recommendations.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

I love the Mackin 450 powered speakers, can snag them used for about 500-700 for the pair.

I have a nice set of alto powered 12"s that I got from guitar center for $250 each. Probably the best bang for the buck out there. I use a minidsp processor to split the signal between them and two unpowered 18" harbinger subs. Perfect for small venues.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Mentor

Thanks for all the replies guys, I didn't mention my budget but it's about 500 dollars. So unfortunately some of those speakers you guys have mentioned are out of my price range . However I found a dj PA set http://www.bestbuy.com/site/American...&skuId=1005749 that costs about 500 dollars. I've several reviews on couple of websites and they rate them very well for the price and the sound they put out. Also my friend that works for best buy can get it for about 390 with tax. Have you guys ever seen/heard this set before? If so would that be the best route for the price? Thanks!
    Last edited by Ollin; 11-12-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Ollin View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I didn't mention my budget but it's about 500 dollars. So unfortunately some of those speakers you guys have mentioned are out of my price range . However I found a dj PA set http://www.bestbuy.com/site/American...&skuId=1005749 that costs about 500 dollars. I've several reviews on couple of websites and they rate them very well for the price and the sound they put out. Also my friend that works for best buy can get it for about 390 with tax. Have you guys ever seen/heard this set before? If so would that be the best route for the price? Thanks!
    I would strongly advise against that. I am pretty confident that you will be very underwhelmed with the performance.

You would get better sound from a single JBL EON 15 G2 or a single Mackie SRM-450... either of which can be had for under $350 used.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    I would strongly advise against that. I am pretty confident that you will be very underwhelmed with the performance.

You would get better sound from a single JBL EON 15 G2 or a single Mackie SRM-450... either of which can be had for under $350 used.
    Welp I just read a quote that said "better than a boom box". That sums it up for me, however I did find this deal on craigslist http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3381573899.html I'm guessing this is much better.

Go to guitar center and listen to the altos and then listen to a set of those. I think you will find the altos sound much better and have better cabinets. Go with the 15"s if you want to do small parties and don't have room for a sub. Otherwise, I would recommend getting some 12"s and adding a 15 or an 18 to compliment them. You will want subs eventually if you start getting paid gigs. Guitar center also has one year no intrest financing, so you can easily pay them off.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1