:( Help: Is my Audio 6 USB beyond repair?
    Tech Guru

Default :( Help: Is my Audio 6 USB beyond repair?

I got my Audio 6 today and my game plan was to build it into my 909. I did some soldering and everything worked fine and the only thing that was troubling me was how I was going to get the USB into the mixer. So I decided to solder the USB cable directly to the Audio 6 board. Unfortunately I misread a USB pinout and soldered the Power to the ground and the ground to the power points, as well as the data points.

Anyways I saw smoke immediately and quickly unplugged the USB in less than 2 seconds. I plugged in a normal usb into the port and into the computer and the unit lights up but the LED just flashes.

Do you think it's just the USB port needs to be replaced? Could that bad wiring have messed it up that bad?

Anyone with any computer/electrical experience I would really appreciate your input. Otherwise i'm out $200.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    I got my Audio 6 today and my game plan was to build it into my 909. I did some soldering and everything worked fine and the only thing that was troubling me was how I was going to get the USB into the mixer. So I decided to solder the USB cable directly to the Audio 6 board. Unfortunately I misread a USB pinout and soldered the Power to the ground and the ground to the power points, as well as the data points.

Anyways I saw smoke immediately and quickly unplugged the USB in less than 2 seconds. I plugged in a normal usb into the port and into the computer and the unit lights up but the LED just flashes.

Do you think it's just the USB port needs to be replaced? Could that bad wiring have messed it up that bad?

Anyone with any computer/electrical experience I would really appreciate your input. Otherwise i'm out $200.

You won't like this answer ...

Probably...

There's so much SMD kit on boards thesedays, even if you could find out what you popped, there's little chance of repair.

you could speak to NI directly (put your A6 back together if you can) and see what they say ...
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

Tech Guru

Smoke indicates you've cooked something...probably just one of the micro resistors rather than anything important, but you need a highly skilled electronics guy to replace as the soldering required is precision
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Guru

Balls, this is so frustrating cause I managed to get it wired up the second time around and it powers on but it's not showing up. And unfortunately there is no information online available as far as block diagrams for the A6. I have 2 choices: I found a site that can apparently fix the USB connector (feels risky), or I just found someone here with an A4 available. I might just have to suck it up and call it a loss.

Ouch - feel for you mate.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

fortunately i haven't broken anything of mine whilst modding, but I feel your pain. BTW, if you have USB3, avoid the A4, NI still haven't fixed the drivers ... i have one fitted inside a mixer and i have to be picky about which port i use or Traktor bluescreens ...

One last note though, reversing the polarity may just have blown a shunt resistor or perhaps a small diode (both do the job of protecting the main chips), they "should" be able to be seen (or smelt) which one has gone.

Then I'd get someone who has an A6 to measure the value of the resistor on a working one, diodes are not so easy to find the value ... other than that I can't say .... the time taken to find the fault and then repair it may be more than a new unit costs.
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

You let the magic smoke out. Its dead bro, sorry
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

If you have opened the audio card NI are unlikely to even look at it nevermind fix it.