Traktor scratch Audio 6 fit for this kind of setup ?
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor scratch Audio 6 fit for this kind of setup ?

Hello guys !

Sorry it this might look like a silly question as I don't know much about NI gear and DVS in general.

I own a Twitch and recently acquired some nuo 5 mixer as I want to learn scratching.

I am planning on getting a turntable and Traktor Scratch next. However, I am not quite sure about which NI soundcard (audio 6 or audio 10 ) would best fit my needs. As I am only a beginner, I would like to go for the cheapest option (audio 6) if possible.

Basically, I would like to be able to mix four channels (2 "regular" decks, 1 sample/remix deck and the "scratching" deck from the TT)using only two channels on my mixer

I wondered if I could route the output of the TT through one channel of the audio 6 and the other 3 channel through the other output, using the third main "in & out" as a send return for effect ?

Basically this would mean that the "regular" and "sample/remix" decks would be mixed internally in Traktor (controlled with the twitch and maybe a F1) and that the 4th "scratching" deck would be mixed "externally" through the mixer so that I can take advantage of the eternal crossfader of the mixer.

Is this at all possible with an Audio 6 or should I settle for an Audio 10 which is much pricier ?

Many thanks for your input guys and sorry if some things are not clear as I am not a native English speaker.

Hey mate

Yes, the Audio 6 can do what you want - as your mixer only has two channels, and the Audio 6 has 3, that is more then enough - the 5 channels of the Audio 10 is expensive overkill in your case.

Once you have the Audio 6 hooked up to your computer, you set the mixing to "External", then go into the Output options an route the decks as you would like.

As for using the third main as an "in & out" as a send return for effects - you won't need to, as you can put the effects unit in between the Audio 6 and the mixer.

Also, you write English better than some native English speakers!

Good luck mate!
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Tech Mentor

The above answer is correct and incorrect. Traktor can either be external or internal, you can't do both. So you can't mix a turntable externally through the audio 6 and have traktor set to internal for the other decks, it won't work, ther eis no way to do that. The above answer is saying that you could plug the TT into 1 channel of the audio 6 and then have the other 3 decks routed through another channel of the audio 6 and each output then going to a channle on your mixer. Why you would want to do that is beyond me because you will have 3 decks all assigned to the same mixer channel, you have no way to crossfade inbetween them and no way to control volume separately. Remember, once Traktor is set to external, you lose all function of the internal mixer, you will see that even the little volume control faders and the crossfader disappear on the screen. You need a 4 channel mixer and an audio 10.

Tech Convert

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your answers, seems I have to settle for the Audio 10 then.

Actually what I wanted was to handle the 3 channels with the Twitch internally in Traktor, using the Twitch's crossfader and volume faders but since you have to choose between either internal or external mixing I guess it won't be possible.

I knew it was kind of crazy but I thought maybe it could work.

Tech Mentor

You can still use twitch to control the midi functions (play, pause eq, loops etc)but Traktor can only use 1 soundcard at a time so you still need the audio 10 and a 4 channel mixer to control volume levels separately and to crossfade.