ssd help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ssd help

Default ssd help

ok guys nothing serious here but just a bit puzzled, ive just moved away from my windows 7 laptop that had an ssd in and booted in under 10 seconds, however on the mb i have ive installed a 128gb ocz octane ssd and i have to say the boot up time has not improver over the standard hdd at all, i have 6gb ram, trim enabled... any ideas, im running lion at the moment but considering upgrading to mtn lion later tonight
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Guru

i put a OCZ agility 3 into my 2010 MBP last month, the improvements were crazy! if its slow, make sure u regularly repair ur disk permissions
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

i wouldnt say its slow around about 30 seconds startup and as soon as it shows the desktop it's ready, just not what i was hoping for.. how do i repair disk permissions

scrap that.. i found it... ill do it and reboot to see, thanks.

Odd I did SSD in my 2009 MBP, and boot time is around 15sec, and thats also being paired with a standard HDD as my storage for music.

The OCZ Octane is–to my knowledge–the first OCZ drive that doesn't use a SandForce controller. It's benchmarks show that it kind of sucks compared to their other drives and basically anything that is running a SandForce controller.

If it were my computer, I'd return the OCZ drive and buy either an OCZ Vertex/Agility or a Mercury Extreme Pro 6G.

FYI, my mid-2011 MBP boots to a login prompt in ~11 seconds and is ready to use about 3 seconds after I hit enter with the Mercury I mentioned above. It's been the same since I got the drive in the middle of 2011.

manually select the startup disk in System Preferences after the install to ensure a fast bootup time (it cut mine in half).
    Last edited by corporation; 11-13-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Tech Guru

on a related note...i havent rebooted my mbp from i replaced the drive...and before that, it would of been months...just close the lid
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    on a related note...i havent rebooted my mbp from i replaced the drive...and before that, it would of been months...just close the lid
    I do this. The "up-time" can be weeks or even months at a time. I know it would probably be better if I shut it down at night rather than just closing the lid but is it going to cause any major problems???

thanks for the inputs gents.. ive found my old ocz vertex 3, so im gonna throw that in on a drive bay caddy... its only 60gb so will just install os to that and use the 128 for everything else... can anyone see that making improvements?

ive done all of the other suggestions and it's improved a little.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast