My VCI-100 kept disconnecting in the club - any ideas?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default My VCI-100 kept disconnecting in the club - any ideas?

Really odd problem earlier tonight at the club. Basically, I could not maintain a stable connection between my laptop and VCI. The longest I could keep a connection was about a minute. At first I suspected a physical problem as the USB port on the VCI is rather loose already and I thought I would have to take it apart and solder a lost connection, or something of that sort.

Anyway after coming home I connected my laptop and gear exactly as it would be set up in the club, and go figure I cannot reproduce the problem. I tried jiggling the USB connection on both the laptop end and the VCI end but to no avail, everything remains in working order (which is good!). So I can rule out that suspicion.

The only thing that's different between my home and the club is:

1. The bass vibrations. We just got a new booth that has a lot more bass coming through the bottom.

2. Maybe it has something to do with the power at the club versus the power in my home (FYI my laptop stays plugged in at the club, as well as my USB hub though the VCI is not connected through the hub).

I'm thinking it's the vibrations. I know for sure my VCI is affected by them which is why I use a heavy-set cloth folded over a couple times and my laptop slipcase to hold my VCI in place. I watch to see if the Data Send light goes off to see how bad the VCI is affected but I wasn't really having any problems of this sort. As well, I tried connecting the VCI while holding it myself in the air, shielding it from any vibrations of the sort but it still disconnected.

So right now I have no idea why it was disconnecting at the club but behaving just fine at home. Any ideas?

BTW when it would disconnect, it would immediately reconnect. However the quick disconnect would result in a prompt from Bomes etc. meaning it would need to be restarted, and because I use Traktor 3.3 I'd need to restart the whole program to re-recognize the VCI, so clearly this is a rather major problem with more gigs this weekend!

I'm not going to bother posting my laptop specs or anything like that, as I've been using the exact same setup for the past 4 months. The only thing that changes are the songs on my external HD. If you're still curious though, I'm DJing with a Lenovo Thinkpad X61 (Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM) on Windows Vista which has been optimized quite thoroughly (to the point it looks like Win95 .

Tech Mentor

I should mention, I tried shaking the VCI vigorously at home and it still remains connected. I'm going to take it to the club tonight before they open to see if I can recreate the disconnect again and hopefully work from there.

Tech Mentor

OK so I just started shaking my laptop and recreated the problem. I suppose there's something loose in there or something, if anyone has any experience with kind of thing it would be much appreciated.

For the time being I suppose I'll have to shield it from vibrations as well. Glad I've further isolated the problem, and goes to show it's not always your MIDI gear!

Tech Mentor

Looks like it's just that USB port that the VCI is connected to. After googling this seems to be a common problem with computers in general, thankfully it should be rather simple to fix then.

I'll update once I get it fixed.

simple to fix ? Laptop USB ? Really? let me know how you go about fixing it as i have a knackered one on mine but its connected direct to motherboard
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

I guess he is gonna open the laptop up to get to the mobo.

Once there, will look for dry connections or something broken at the USB port.

You 'could' fix that.....but you also 'could' fry your mobo completely.

Good Luck with that.

I am fanatical about my USB ports and stuff sticking out of it.
    SPECIALLY when my girlfriend decides to move it.

Why would you carry your laptop around with the USB stuff still connected?

Bump it and its bent. Bump it again and its fucked.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

this USB technology needs to find a better interface......
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

it's called firewire
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

OH GEEEZ!

HEHEHEHE

They both plug in the same way!

Both JUST as flimsy!

We need something like the magnetic Power pin thing MacBooks have.

That won;t break your mobo when bumped.

Your fireware not break when you kick or bump the plug at the point where it enters your lappy?

Come now.....

dude, not my firewire cables..

check these things:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/images...ts/M8706GA.jpg

they straight up SNAPLOCK into my mbp's ports. simply because they're made to. but still, you have to put some force behind this thing to even get it out of the port. and by being so snug, there's no room for it to wiggle around.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast