Rehearsal Studios
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rehearsal Studios

Does anybody here use them (for DJ purposes?)

I live in California where a lot of the housing is either literally connected or very close to your neighbor(s) (i.e. close enough to piss them off with loud music).

I almost literally never practice and it is mostly due to not being able to turn it loud enough for me to hear it properly (either because of neighbors or because of disturbing my wife at night).

I looked up some "rehearsal studios" in my area and the majority of them are set up for live bands. They are too big and too expensive for my needs.

So I was thinking that there arent many places that cater to DJs (at least that I know of and at least not here in the States). which is a shame because one should be able to be loud and not have to worry about having the cops called on them like they were criminals. I think this is especially true for high school kids too. Some of our communities over here have gotten the point and started building skate parks. They ought to start doing the same for "the arts" too and have community studios for kids to use. Im sure it would help with keeping kids busy with creative outlets and keep them off the streets doing other stuff. (end rant)

Anyway...how do you guys deal with this? Im seriously frustrated with this and wish I had an alternative that was close and cheap tailored for the DJ.
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

I know how u feel man. In NZ we have real strict noise control rules where basically if a neighbour complains about the noise, even if its acceptable levels, the noise nazis give you a 72 hour notice. At home the only time i get to have a proper practise is like two nights a week for two hours. A dodgy old warehouse or something would be perfect!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

rooftops..open fields..of course this requires a generator :P

headphone monitoring just doesn't do it?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    definitely not
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post

Exactly!

I highly recommend getting as used to headphone monitoring as possible. Ideally, you want to get to the point where you never take them off. I've played in so many clubs with crappy monitors that can't even come close to cutting it for quality mixing. Add in a large room where it can take a few fractions of a second for the sound to hit you in the booth and you have a bad situation. You can't use the sound from the room to mix (well, maybe if you are using sync and quantization), you can't use the monitors to mix... phew, so glad I'm used to just using my headphones all the time anyway.

Plus, my headphones have better sound quality than most of the monitors I've ever used in clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by rcolbourne View Post
    Plus, my headphones have better sound quality than most of the monitors I've ever used in clubs.
    that's righteous.

but i get sometimes i have the urge to just pump the speakers and fill the entire room with the thump. you just can't get that feeling with headphones.

but colbourne says useful things.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

only sometimes?!! haha dang i'd have my B&W sub cranked to 60hz and half volume all the time if i had the chance. time for a new apartment eh
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

good luck man, I havent seen any down here in l.a., Ill talk to the bands i know to see what rates they pay.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

why did i never thought about using our bands rehearsal studio for practicing...thats a great idea!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by rcolbourne View Post
    Ideally, you want to get to the point where you never take them off.
    I'd disagree personally... My main love of DJing stems from the interaction with the ravers. I've always felt that having the cans on the whole time creates a barrier between you and the crowd. To be honest, DJing can be (while you're up there) the most anti-social place to be in the venue (apart from the 15 year old girls chundering in the street). I dunno what you guys think, but having both cans on isn't my bag.

Although I can definitely dig the whole headphone monitoring to avoid an ASBO thing... A reheasal room, as long as its cheap, seems a really nifty plan! perhaps for 2 hours a week or something, just to finalise your prep work? Give it a go bruv!

Peace

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast