Z2 or A6 and X1

Thread: Z2 or A6 and X1

Tech Wizard

Default Z2 or A6 and X1

hiya guys,

So I want to switch to digital, but Im having a hard time figuring out the differences between certain setups. now I have never used vinyl tracking software except at a friends place so some questions may sound a bit stupid to the trained digi dj.

The Z2 really gets my juices flowing, every released clip makes it clear this is a serious piece of hardware. now I have a urei 1601 battlemixer wich I still like but will get rid of to fund my Z2 purchase.

But whats the difference between the Z2 or a urei 1601 with A6 and a X1 setup. clearly no macro effects, filters, but easier track browsing? also cue juggling on the Z2 vs the X1, is it even possible? the Z2 allready looks like a beast, do I need to get an additional X1 to unlock its full potential?

price is exactly the same since I can sell my old mixer for 300 euros. A Z2 costs 800 euros and an A6 with x1 would set me back 500 euros

my apologies for my crap english!

cheers

Geert

You have acces over the volume of deck c & d with the Z2, that seems a big advantage. You also have visual feedback (cue-points and loops) on the Z2, which the x1 don't have. When you want to expand your setup, the Z2 offers 2 USB-ports for additional controllers. I would go for the Z2

Macro FX are not restricted to the Z2. I have an X1 and have no problem using the macro FX...I don't even really have to do anything special to use them. The X1 does give you access to hotcues...but it is on a separate layer. What you don't easily get with the X1 is access to the sample decks or remix deck slots. You also don't get an easy way to control the volume of decks c&d or have access to the internal filters easily. The other major issue that the z2 can offer that you will not get with an external mixer is access to the Post-Fader FX.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Tech Wizard

thx guys,

but isnt the sample and remix deck limited on the Z2, and wont I have to buy an F1 or (two) to completely unlock their possibilities. I read in a review somewhere that you cant adjust volumes on deck c and d through the Z2. Altho I do foresee a learning curve using the remix decks, and a F1 would set me back another 250.

Im def leaning torwards a Z2, but it just seems so bulky, and makes me wonder if Ill ever be able to take it with me to play at gigs, especially if I have to add another controller.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnypepp View Post

Im def leaning torwards a Z2, but it just seems so bulky, and makes me wonder if Ill ever be able to take it with me to play at gigs, especially if I have to add another controller.
    Oh god no.

I wouldn't be rocking up at gigs with a Z2. Especially if they have a house mixer...

I had 2 turntables, a mixer and a Traktor A6 package and I was in the same sort of boat as you - I was trying to decide between getting a controller (and I was looking at the X1) to add to what I had, or dumping the mixer and A6 and replacing them with a Z2. I ended up doing the latter and I have no regrets. The Z2 makes controlling all of the functions of Traktor easy - the ones I use anyway - and it's nice to have everything built into 1 unit instead of 3.

The features I was most interested in were the pads either side of the crossfader for jumping to cue points and loops, being able to browse my library and load tracks from the mixer, and control effects (plus having post-fader effects was pretty vital for me too). In that respect, I have no regrets about buying the Z2 whatsoever.

I've also found that Traktor performs better with the Z2 than when I was using the Audio 6. I was originally using the Audio 6 with Windows 7 and even on my powerful desktop machine, CPU usage was higher than I expected when the buffer settings were quite low. I then switched to Windows 8 (fresh install of everything) and my experience with the Audio 6 was the same. I then switched from the Audio 6 to the Z2 and when I use the settings I was using previously, the CPU usage is lower. I'm able to have the buffer settings as low as they can go now and the CPU usage is still low and I get no audio drop-outs, glitches etc.. Maybe that's just a coincidence or an odd quirk or something, but yeah - that's my experience.

The only things that let the Z2 down for me are the stiff line faders (which can be replaced, but at an extra cost), and the lack of curve control/reverse on the lines, but my last mixer didn't have that either. I would have paid a bit more to have full curve/reverse on all 3 faders, but overall I'm really happy with my purchase.

the x1/a6 combo is so portable, thats what would be my deciding factor